Starting from Scratch

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm starting to build my Hackint0sh. I hope you all super experienced guys will help me out, will be really really thankful.

PC specs:

MoBo: Intel DG41RQ

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 5400, 2.7 GHz

RAM: 2 GB DDRII

HDD: 250 GB SATA (3 partitions, Windows 7 32-bit installed and running)

No video card, yet (will you recommend one?)

Background:

I have already tried running Hazard Snow Leopard (Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard) in VMWare, but that doesn't satisfy the appetite. So, now I want to make it a real Hackint0sh.

FIRSTQUESTION:

Here's the scenario. I will remove my original 250 GB HDD, and will get another SATA HDD (40 GB, that would be enough for me) on which I'll have just ONE partition, for installing OS X.

After that, I'll have to connect my original HDD (250 GB SATA) as well, and make it a kind of a dual-boot system, i.e. dual boot OS X with Windows, both being on 2 separate HDDs, while Windows 7 is already installed on one of the HDDs.

Is this dual boot scenario possible?

Need more info? Please reply, and I'll post back ASAP...

Again, I would be really thankful to the helpers...!!

Read this thread to see what kexts you need. Pentium Dual Core CPU's are not compatible with a Vanilla kernel.

I have 2 hard drives in my other computer and yes, it does support dual boot. Be sure to boot "System Reserved" to load Windows.

Read this thread to see what kexts you need. Pentium Dual Core CPU's are not compatible with a Vanilla kernel.

I have 2 hard drives in my other computer and yes, it does support dual boot. Be sure to boot "System Reserved" to load Windows.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated !

Is there any guide on dual booting, similar to my case where I have Windows installed on an HDD, and after installing OS X on another HDD, the Windows HDD is to be reconnected. You get the idea. Please direct me to a guide that shows THIS PARTICULAR dual booting scenario.

I've looked for it a lot. Thanks in advance !

EDIT: What is meant by "Vanilla"? Heard it a lot of times, but no one explained it quite well.

Just did some research, and I've decided that I will use Tonymacx86 method. Fairly simple to follow.

My BIOS is currently NOT in AHCI/SATA mode. Which means i MUST change it to AHCI mode, in order to install OS X on a separate HDD. After installing on the Mac HDD, when I'll reattach the Windows 7 HDD, windows won't boot (even though Chameleon will be able to identify my Windows 7 HDD).

The reason is that the Windows 7 installation was probably carried out when my BIOS wasn't in SATA mode.

So, what is the easy solution to this, apart from reinstalling Windows?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated !

Is there any guide on dual booting, similar to my case where I have Windows installed on an HDD, and after installing OS X on another HDD, the Windows HDD is to be reconnected. You get the idea. Please direct me to a guide that shows THIS PARTICULAR dual booting scenario.

I've looked for it a lot. Thanks in advance !

EDIT: What is meant by "Vanilla"? Heard it a lot of times, but no one explained it quite well.

Vanilla refers to the system Kernel, Vanilla being a virgin non patched Apple kernel.

Your board will run 10.6.7 with a vanilla kernel (I have a core 2 duo so your results might differ). When doing the update from 10.6.x to 10.6.7 make sure you use the USB rollback kext.

I kind of cheat dual booting using f10 boot disk selection method. The mac hard drive in SATA slot 1 and my XP drive in slot 3, I then hold down f10 during the boot to select the pc drive. I know this is not as elegant as being able to select the os via chameleon but I've had problems where I had to disconnect the pc drive. When chameleon screen comes up during boot you can select either the mac hd or the pc but the pc drive will not boot. I'm not sure why but I think is has to do with the bios and its boot selection settings. To boot from my xp drive I have to use the f10 boot disk selection method

I'm a long time mac user and I'm not sure if this is a common thing with PC's but you can only do installs on a disk connected to the first SATA slot. Good luck, I did this install almost a year ago so if I remember any other tidbits I'll let you know. Regards CFI

Your board will run 10.6.7 with a vanilla kernel...

Yeah, it can, but he is using a Pentium Dual Core. only "Core" series (Core, Core 2, Core i) can run Vanilla kernels.

Wow. I stand corrected. I didn't know non-Core CPU's could run Vanilla. (I have a P4 LGA775 [P4 630]).

So it means I'll be able to use the Tonymacx86 method, and by using this method, I'll have a Vanilla install, right? That's great !

@Chris:

But the dual-booting question is still unclear, maybe I'm unable to explain it correctly, or perhaps I'm still a n00b to understand the answer !

Okay here we go:

1 - I installed Windows 7 on HDD#1, while my BIOS wasn't in AHCI or SATA mode (it was probably in IDE mode)

2 - Now I'll install OS X on HDD#2, putting my BIOS in AHCI mode

3 - When I'll try to boot from HDD#1, it would give me 'Bootmgr is missing' or any other boot error, because the BIOS would be in AHCI mode. To do so, I would need to reinstall Windows, which, for some reason I don't want to do so.

4 - Since the BIOS is in AHCI mode, OS X would boot from HDD#2 without a hitch. To boot Windows from HDD#1, I would need to change my BIOS from AHCI back to IDE mode (Why? See point#1).

5 - What's the solution to this? How can I keep BIOS in either AHCI or IDE mode, and be able to boot from both Windows HDD and OS X HDD?