Can't install kexts on P5K-E Vanilla 10.6.7 install

6 posts in this topic

Greetings osx86ers,

I've been struggling for the last day or two trying to get a vanilla installation of OSX Snow Leopard installed on my P5K-E machine. I've attempted to follow this guide:

http://osx86.co/f57/how-to-snow-leopard-re...2-on-p5k-t3380/

Based on some notes here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.7

as well as others. I have a working version of SL 10.6.7 installed and everything that I care about works... except the LAN. I've tried numerous versions of IONetworkFamily.kext but can't get them to work (more below). Attempting to use the AppleYukon2Injector.kext always fails because it complains that required components are not found.

My installation has a copy of IONetworkFamily.kext in Extras/Extensions; I'm not sure where this file is coming from (does Chameleon install it?). This file has a version labeled as 9.9 so even if I update the IONetworkFamily.kext file in S/L/E it's always ignored because it's version is < 9.9. If I overwrite it; I cannot boot. If I remove it, I cannot boot. It hangs at various stages, usually complaining about ACPI but not always. I've tried versions 1.6, 1.8 and 1.9 of IONetworkFamily.kext. All of these have the Apple Yukon plugin in the kext's Plugin directory, while the "9.9" version in Extras/Extensions does not. Most guides tell you to alter the Info.plist file in this Yukon plugin, but my "9.9" version of the kext has no such plugin. Any attempt to change it, no boot.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

My machine:

Asus P5K-E

EVGA 9800GTX (works)

sound works

usb works

wifi - haven't tried it

lan - borked

I have a working version of SL 10.6.7 installed and everything that I care about works... except the LAN. I've tried numerous versions of IONetworkFamily.kext but can't get them to work (more below). Attempting to use the AppleYukon2Injector.kext always fails because it complains that required components are not found.

My installation has a copy of IONetworkFamily.kext in Extras/Extensions; I'm not sure where this file is coming from (does Chameleon install it?). This file has a version labeled as 9.9 so even if I update the IONetworkFamily.kext file in S/L/E it's always ignored because it's version is < 9.9. If I overwrite it; I cannot boot. If I remove it, I cannot boot. It hangs at various stages, usually complaining about ACPI but not always. I've tried versions 1.6, 1.8 and 1.9 of IONetworkFamily.kext. All of these have the Apple Yukon plugin in the kext's Plugin directory, while the "9.9" version in Extras/Extensions does not. Most guides tell you to alter the Info.plist file in this Yukon plugin, but my "9.9" version of the kext has no such plugin. Any attempt to change it, no boot.

Firstly, there should not be a copy of IONetworkFamily.kext in Extra/Extensions. Rename it to IONetworkingFamily.kext.bak. Secondly, my version of IONetworkingFamily.kext in 10.6.7 is 1.10. If you don't have that version, then I would be suspicious of how you updated from the base 10.6 to 10.6.7. Thirdly, the AppleYukon2Injector.kext makes it such that you do not need to change the info.plist in the AppleYukon plugin. But if you do change anything in any kext in /System/Library/Extensions, be sure to update the permissions (chown and chmod) and to delete the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Extensions.mkext file.

I'm not sure where you got the various versions of IONetworkingFamily.kext, but if you pulled them out of the various updates, even the combo updates, they may be incomplete and that is why they don't work. In many cases, the updates only replace components of the kext, not the entire kext, so it is important to start with the base kext from 10.6 and then let the update replace the necessary pieces for that particular update. That might explain why one version is missing a plugin. That plugin did not get updated for a particular update so it wasn't included...the existing plugin was OK as is.

As a first step, I removed the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Extra/Extentions:

cd Extra/Extensions
sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.bak
cd ..
sudo rm Extentions.mkext
sudo touch Extensions
sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

Then rebooted and got this:

Mac Framework successfully initialized
using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleRTC]: The Mach-0 file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0xbebafeca
Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC - link failed.
Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC.
Kext kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC failed to load (0xdc008016)
Failed to load kext kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (error 0xdc008016).
Couldn't alloc class "AppleRTC"
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device
USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 070531102105 0x424 0x2228 0x444
USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 0000000000001241 0x48d 0x1167 0x100

See what I mean? If I touch any kexts, the machine won't boot. I didn't alter a kext here, just removed one.

BTW, I didn't put that IONetworkingFamily.kext there; it was there the first time I logged in to Snow Leopard. Where did it come from? This is a vanilla install of Snow Leopard + the 10.6.7 update directly from Apple. Is Chameleon adding it on startup?

...and when I put the IONetworkingFamily.kext back (mv it from the .bak file to the kext file), I get the same error. I had made a backup of the entire /Extras directory and restored it, setting ownership back to root:wheel and permissions back to 755 and still it crashes. Is it because I removed the mkext file in S/L/Caches? ARRRGGHH!

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleRTC]: The Mach-0 file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0xbebafeca
Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC - link failed.
Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC.
Kext kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC failed to load (0xdc008016)
Failed to load kext kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (error 0xdc008016).
Couldn't alloc class "AppleRTC"

This is telling you that the AppleRTC.kext is damaged. The /Extra folder is not part of a standard installation so either you installed it as part of the tutorial (which is common) or you have a custom Chameleon installation that installed the /Extra folder and its contents. I didn't read through the tutorial to find where it might have come from.

Since the AppleRTC.kext is damaged and you are having other problems, I would just do it again. Follow the tutorial again and maybe you will find where the IONetworkingFamily.kext ended up in the /Extra/Extensions folder.

Starting over now. I used EFI-X v.0.3 to boot into the Snow Leopard install disk. I'm going to boot back into that disk so I can see what's on the disk vanilla from SL's install. I'll then boot in using EFI or Chameleon and see what shows up that's different. I think Chameleon is the one adding the Extra directory; at no point did I create it myself manually...

• 2 months later...
Starting over now. I used EFI-X v.0.3 to boot into the Snow Leopard install disk. I'm going to boot back into that disk so I can see what's on the disk vanilla from SL's install. I'll then boot in using EFI or Chameleon and see what shows up that's different. I think Chameleon is the one adding the Extra directory; at no point did I create it myself manually...

Was this ever resolved? I am having the identical problem with Lion right now. Uncanny.