10.7 Lion DP2 on a Dell Optiplex 755

charlie565

10 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 PC running OS X 10.6.x for while now with the following hardware content:

Processor: Q6600

RAM: 4GB PC2 5300

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB

HDD: 320 GB Segate , 200 GB Seagate, 1 TB Seagete

Before we go further I'd like to underline:

Have tested Mac OS X on a PC hardware first by a downloaded version to make sure it works, than I bought a legal copy of 10.5 Leopard and a 10.6 Snow Leopard later on from Apple.

I will do the same as soon as the 10.7 Lion retail version is available in store.

If you find Mac OS X useful on your PC, please buy it. It costs "a massive amount of" £26.00, which is just a fracture of a Windows' price.

When Lion Developer Preview 2 has appeared on torrent sites, I decided to give it a go on my Optiplex 755 Hackint0sh.

As I've been reading this forum for quite a long time now to get various OS X versions installed on my PC hardware and enjoyed all the benefits of this amazing forum, I thought it's time to contribute something towards this enthusiastic community.

Ingredients for the successful 10.7 Lion installation:

Any type of a basic Hackint0sh or a Mac for no more than to prepare a USB install drive.

• Mac OS X 10.7 Lion DP 2.dmg
  • USB drive at least 8GB
  • Chameleon 2 RC3 r658 install package (see attachment)
  • Modified Chameleon boot file for Lion by Netkas (see attachment)
  • /Extra folder from 10.6.7 system with minimal kext requirements (see attachment)
    Including:
    /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
    /Extra/Extensions.mkext
    /Extra/smbios.plist
    /Extra/Extensions/ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext
    /Extra/Extensions/EvOreboot.kext
  • Kext files required by Optiplex 755 in /System/Library/Extensions/ (see attachment)
    Including:
    fakesmc.kext
    Intel82566MM.kext for the on board network card
    NVEnabler64.kext for Nvidia cards above than GeForce 8xxx models
    VoodooHDA.kext for the on board audio card

The /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file will call a 64bit kernel, therfore all the kext files used and the Extensions.mkext file are 64bit versions.

Please note, that 10.7 Lion supports only 64 bit kernel in native mod at the moment. You can force to boot in 32 bit mode by arch=i386 boot flag in Chameleon's command line. However, it could lead to a kernel panic.

Than let's cook:

You can't install Lion from a DVD on a PC, because the setup boot process wants to start the BaseSystem.dmg file as a secondary boot process from the DVD and it is not supported by Chameleon boot loader at the moment.

We need to prepare a USB install drive

1. Open 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion DP 2.dmg', it opens 'Mac OS X Install ESD' virtual disk
  2. Open 'BaseSystem.dmg' from here, it opens 'Mac OS X Base System' virtual disk
  3. Create a GUID partition on your USB install drive
  4. Restore 'Mac OS X Base System' to a USB drive - called 'Lion_Setup' in this guide
  5. From the restored USB drive delete /System/Installation/Packages alias
  6. Copy /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages/ to /Volumes/Lion_Setup/System/Installation/
  7. Install Chameleon_2_RC3_r658.pkg on the 'Lion_Setup' drive - credit goes to the Chameleon Team for their fantastic boot loader, many thanks for it.
    Replace the boot file by the 'Modified Chameleon boot file for Lion by Netkas' - of course credit goes to Netkas (brilliant job again, thanks)
  8. Copy the content of 'Extra_minimal_gx755.zip' to 'Lion_Setup', keep the original /Extra/Themes/ folder untached
  9. Copy the content of 'GX755.zip' to the 'Lion_Setup' drive

Install 10.7 Lion on your hard drive
  10. Boot into 'Lion_Setup' and perform the install. Create a new GUID partition for the operating system - called 'LION' in this guide. At the end of the install you have 10s to get into Utilities>Terminal. If you are too slow, let the system to restart. After restart, boot into the USB install drive again and open terminal
  11. cp -R /Volumes/Lion_Setup/GX755/Kext/* /Volumes/LION/System/Library/Extensions/
    chmod -R 755 /Volumes/LION/System/Library/Extensions
    chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/LION/System/Library/Extensions

12. Reboot your computer. Select Lion_Setup as a boot device, press F8 to select boot partition, select the newly installed LION partition to boot with -v boot flag.
  13. Complete the initial setup and enjoy the view of 'Fuji Yama'

Post Install Procedure
  14. Install /Lion_Setup/GX755/Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg on LION partition
  15. Open Terminal and type:
    sudo su
    and enter your root password
    After that:
    cp -R /Volumes/Lion_Setup/GX755/Extra/* /Volumes/LION/
    cp /Volumes/Lion_Setup/boot /Volumes/Lion Partition/
    chmod -R 755 /Volumes/LION/Extra
    chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/LION/Extra

16. Reboot - probably your PC won't reboot properly yet. When your monitor goes to sleep mod, switch the computer off. It won't happen again because /Extra/Extensions/EvOreboot.kext will sort it out in the future.
    Please note that the first Lion boot process probably has reset your BIOS settings so set the floppy disk seek, speedstep and processor virtualization settings back. It won't be reset again because the /Extra/Extensions/ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext will stop the BIOS reset in the furure.
  17. Reboot, put a happy face on and enjoy your new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Unfortunately I couldn't get sleep mod working so this is still an outstanding issue. I tried to use SleepEnabler.kext from 10.6.7 with various boot flags (pmVersion=0 or pmVersion=21 etc.) causing kernel panic.

Any idea is more than welcome in relation to a working sleep mod.

Chameleon_2_RC3_r658.pkg.zip

Extra.zip

boot.zip

GX755.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I followed these instructions but get the error that I'm missing a mach_kernel when I try and boot off the USB.

EDIT: I copied my boot fiel to mach_kernel - now I get "Mach-0 file has bad magic number" Any ideas?

Also there are two different boot files. One in boot.zip and one in GX755. Which one are we supposed to use? They have different files sizes.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for a great guide. LION 10.7.2 running very well on my Dell 755.

So a couple of things I noticed when installing that may or may not help anyone...

1. I needed to copy Fakesmc to the Lion_Setup/Extra/ otherwise I got a White screen with Swirling cursor while trying to boot to the installer.

2. I changed this part: "cp -R /Volumes/Lion_Setup/GX755/Extra/* /Volumes/LION/" and added Extra at the end otherwise it copied the contents in the root rather than the extra folder.

3. Drop the " Partition" part of this instruction (no such folder) : "cp /Volumes/Lion_Setup/boot /Volumes/Lion Partition/"

4. 10.7.2 update was super easy, didnt need to delete or do anything, just ran the install.

5. Copy the mach_Kernel to the root of the usb drive.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

As noted above I too had to place the mach_Kernel to the root of the usb drive. Would not work otherwise. I have since updated to the latest Chameleon and no issues whatsoever. I am still on the VESA video with the 3100 and will look to get a real video card soon. I have the SFF version with the E2220, 2.4, 1MB Pentium Conroe, M0. Would like to know what the processor upgrade path is for this model?

• 1 month later...

The graphics is driving me mad! I have an Optiplex 755. I tried almost everything: latest Chimera, NVenabler64, NVinject, even tried to install the boot file from your post (which resulted in kernel panic if i remember correctly). No matter what I do, the only resolution I can choose is 1024x768.

System report says about the display:

Type: GPU

Bus: built-in

VRAM (Total): 64MB of shared memory

Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded.

I'm running Lion 10.7.2. Btw I'm not sure if this is standard on the Optiplex 755, but my motherboard has a VGA output, and the DVI comes from a seperate card made by Dell labeled D33724. My display can do 1680x1050, and is currently connected per VGA. I also tried the DVI connection: no difference of course...

Any help or hints would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,

joempie

I used this method to Hack my optiplex 755 and kudos as this worked really well. I am however not sure how to get audio working to my sony bravia, I have done a lot of googling around to find an answer and it would appear to be a common issue. I am currently just employing a VGA lead with no audio and if I connect a audio to audio connection the desktop has issues with detecting the new graphics card installed. Any ideas on the best route to take i.e HDMI or DVI connections/adapters.

From having a look last night it would appear that a number of the extensions did not in fact run. Whilst the I have been able to install both ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext and EvOreboot.kext with kext helper the audio function still eludes me, I tried to install with the same method but on each occasion my about mac informs me I have no built in audio. Any help is always greatly appreciated.