Please share your experience on what is influencing success

Laszlo Lebrun

2 posts in this topic

Dear group,

I would like to open a thread in order to share my experience on what is influencing success with OSX.

I had three very similar pretty usual notebooks with GMA950 chipsets and GMA945 integrated graphics card at my disposal and tried on everyone a good old iAtkos 10.5.7 installation.

In a first version, all three notebooks were running pretty well with 10.5.7 and had full native resolution 1400x1050 in addition to full HD resolution on the external monitor.

All three notebooks where sharing pretty exactly the same LSPCI (long version) data. The GMA945 part of the listing is absolutely identical, only a small difference on the ICH7 chipset memory ranges and IRQ could be found (which were not relevant for success).

Than I updated the manufacturer BIOS of the three machines. That completely jeopardised my OSX on one machine. I never could get it to run OSX with GMA drivers again. On another machine (having absolutely exactly the same LSPCI (long version) data, it ran much better. The only difference between those two notebooks is the processor: a core2duo worked well, the Centrino based machine was not able to run OSX 10.5.7 any more (with a 10.5.2 and obsolete drivers it could run but w/o CE+QI). The third machine (having a slightly different LSPCI and WiFi Card) ran as good as the first one.

Stupidly, I cannot get the old BIOS back...

So my conclusions:

1) even with absolutely identical LSPCI listings, the Intel processor type matters :( !

2) even with the same hardware, another BIOS can completely change your results!

I think it could have been interesting for us to share that kind of experiences.

On most contributions people speak only about their graphic cards and the device ID, and do not mention the rest.

Regards.

Laszlo.

Do a CMOS reset on the PC with the new BIOS and try booting again.

Remember to note down the BIOS settings as you will lose them doing this. But that's the point.

If you were using a DSDT.aml before you flashed the BIOS, extract a clean one from the new BIOS using for example Everest Corporate or Ultimate Edition in Windows. They re-launched this app with a new name but you can still find the older ones from their download page. Well last time I looked anyway. Not sure if their new app can extract ACPI tables as well, I haven't tried it.

Don't extract your DSDT on OS X as you will then extract the patched DSDT.aml which is loaded into memory.

Apply, by hand, all your modifications to the new DSDT. If copying and pasting, make sure to use a DSDT editor (there are a couple available for OS X), as with plists, other editors can screw up the formatting. Don't use the tab key for spaces.

If you were not using a DSDT.aml before, just ignore this. But doing a CMOS reset might help.