Multi-Monitors - 2 Mirrored, 1 Extended

oliiimac

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I own a hackintosh currently with a GeForce GT240 in it with 2 monitors running in extended mode.

What I would like to do is add another cheap card (eg. GT210) into it and have a triple monitor set up.

However, because my third monitor will be a 40" TV I was wondering if it is possible to have my primary monitor mirrored to the TV using 1 card and then have my other monitor in extended mode using the other card.

That way I can continue using my computer with dual monitors as I do now but then also be able to sit infront of the TV and use it there.

Note: I do not want to use a hdmi splitter unless this set up is not possible.

Thanks in advance.

You cannot use more than two displays on a single nvidia card in OS X. This is true on real Macs as well.

I heard that this is actually a hardware limitation and on Windows this is done with some kind of software trick in the drivers.

I guess you could connect a 3rd, cloned display via an external splitter thingy but I don't know how you would deal with the difference in resolution on the two displays. For sure everything would look like {censored} on the display that is not running in native resolution.

I understand that you cannot run more than 2 monitors off a single card which is why I would have two (GT240 + GT210). Also all the monitors will be running at 1920x1080 so there would be no resolution problems.

Does anybody have a multi-monitor set up with 3+ monitors that could quickly test this theory for me?

I bought and put in the GT210 and have all 3 monitors working now as extended desktop

However, I cant make my primary display mirror to the TV.

Alwell looks like ill just be changing my TV to be the primary monitor when I want to use it.