kernel panic - sleepenabler but I couldn't find and delete it?

red jersey

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have installed mac 10.6.3 using iatkos s3. Everything worked fine, including wireless network, usb etc. This morning I tried to update to 10.6.4 by using the combo and I got the following kernel panic:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies)

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler

What I did was, after updating to 10.6.4, instead of rebooting immediately, I have replaced the IOUSBFamily.kext.zip and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.zip

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1010

using kext help.

After rebooting, I got the above sleepenabler kernel panic. I then did some research, and I thought deleting the sleepenabler would help. I used the iatkos boot disk to go to my terminal, however I tried looking under my Extras/Extensions folder, and /System/User/Extensions folder and I couldn't even find my SleepEnabler kext to delete!

Please help :(

I just had this problem going from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7. I booted in -s, single user mode

and it takes one to a terminal prompt. There are a couple of commands it said to

execute. One with fsck and a mount -uw. That sleepenabler.kext is not in

/System/User/Extensions but the folder path is /System/Library/Extensions.

I think the command I used was sudo rm -rf sleepenabler.kext and it put sleepenabler.kext

into its own folder. Also isn't that IOusbfamily.kext rollback the recommended one.

I don't use iatkos, but it is recommended for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

And I thought a .kext.zip file had to be unzipped to be installed. I use the kexthelper b7 app

to install kexts, it takes care of caches and permissions.

I almost forgot to mention, when the bootloader offers different choices, sometimes

one needs to hit F8 to get them, the switch pmVersion=0 entered from the keyboard

will block the sleepenabler kext from trying to load.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. :wacko: When I boot my pc using -s I got the kernel panic. I then use my iatkos boot disk to access my terminal and do the rm -rf to remove my SleepEnabler.text (even though it's not there). After rebooting it still has the kernel panic problem.

I'll try to load the SleepEnabler.text for 10.6.4 to my pc to see if it works, if not then I'll have to restore from my time machine backup.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. :) When I boot my pc using -s I got the kernel panic. I then use my iatkos boot disk to access my terminal and do the rm -rf to remove my SleepEnabler.text (even though it's not there). After rebooting it still has the kernel panic problem.

I'll try to load the SleepEnabler.text for 10.6.4 to my pc to see if it works, if not then I'll have to restore from my time machine backup.

You tried, -s pmVersion=0

as your switches/flags and it didn't work?

sleepenabler.kext is in /System/Library/Extensions

Did you navigate to that folder and issue the command, ls -ls <enter>

to see if sleepenabler.kext was there?

Did you issue the command, sudo rm -rf sleepenabler.kext <enter>

from within the /System/Library/Extensions folder?

Or if you weren't inside the /Extensions folder did you type,

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/sleepenabler.kext <enter> ?

You can also use pmVersion=20 (which is right for 10.6.4) instead of the pmVersion=0 flag.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I'll try to load the SleepEnabler.text for 10.6.4 to my pc to see if it works, if not then I'll have to restore from my time machine backup."

You can use the link below, it is a howto for updating to 10.6.4 with steps, and a SleepEnabler.kext download.

http://www.dailyblogged.com/2271/updating-...leopard-10-6-4/

"5. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ and remove IO80211Family.kext.

6. Open your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra/ and add pmVersion=20 as a kernel flag. (Place pmVersion=20 between <string> and </string>, found underneath <key>Kernel Flags</key>) **Do not delete any other kernel flags that may already be there** "

That's after it's working.

• Like 1

Hello,

1. I didn't try -s pmVersion=0 but I did try -s pmVersion=21 on boot screen

2. I look thru both /Extra/E and /S/L/E I couldn't find sleepenabler.kext the command I use was:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

ls -la

same for /E/E

3. when I was in the terminal I used cd to navigate the Extensions folder, then:

rm -rf SleepEnabler.kext

before I did that I used ls -la command and pretty sure I didn't find the SleepEnabler.kext

Hello,

1. I didn't try -s pmVersion=0 but I did try -s pmVersion=21 on boot screen

Is pmVersion=21 a typo, because I wrote pmVersion=20 ?

http://www.dailyblogged.com/2271/updating-...leopard-10-6-4/

"6. Open your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra/ and add pmVersion=20 as a kernel flag."

Try booting it with pmVersion=0 -v (should show on screen where panic happens in the process)

If you are still getting the sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (which is shortened to sleepenabler.kext in the folder),

then it stands to reason that the .kext conflict is somewhere on your computer. From the terminal you could try

sudo find / -name *enabler.kext also you could possibly try sudo Kextstat | grep SleepEnabler

and that should report if the search finds the problematic kext somewhere else, or more than one.

It's possible not to have a sleepenabler.kext, but then I can't see why you would get that specific error message.

Dellmantt thinks you should delete /Extra/Extensions.mkext and there may be another copy of Extensions.mkext

in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ (or perhaps even in /System/Library/Extensions).

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

They can be rebuilt, it's not fatal. It's also likely that you installed sleepenabler.kext somewhere originally.

yes, i meant pmVersion=20 I did boot with command -v pmVersion=20

I'll try deleting cache and let you know ;)

Also one question, for future update should I do it one version at a time ie. 10.6.3 to 10.6.4, then 10.6.5 ... etc or jumping from 10.6.3-10.6.7 is okay?

yes, i meant pmVersion=20 I did boot with command -v pmVersion=20

I'll try deleting cache and let you know ;)

Also one question, for future update should I do it one version at a time ie. 10.6.3 to 10.6.4, then 10.6.5 ... etc or jumping from 10.6.3-10.6.7 is okay?

No rule for computers seems to be always true, but jumping is pretty much ok.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

The is an update to 10.6.7 howto.