Snow Leopard Crashing at Start up: Exit Signal 8

2 posts in this topic

Hi I had a very stable build...using Chameleon r699. GA-P35-DS3L; 10.6.7. Have my motherboards dsdt that's been working well for 6+ months...never had a problem. Last night I used the computer lightly. For 30 mins. Didn't install anything. This morning when I turned it back on:

Firs a the white/gray apple screen it showed a progress bar (which it never shows before) went about 1/3 way down the progress bar then the system hung at SL boot.

I did a manual shutdown and restart and the system never booted.

When booting with verbose safemode (-x -v) I found the following errors:

"Exited with Signal 8"

I booted with my usb boot stick into the snow leopard install DVD and ran diskutility "Verify disk" and then repair disk and got teh following msg for repairing disk.

1. Invalid Record Count

2. Snow Leopard coud not be verified completly

3. Volume repair complete.

4. Updating Boot Support partition for the volume as required

5. This disk cannot be repaired.

Any idea what could have cause this. I didn't install anythng new. Anyway to fix this? If not I'll end up reintalling from a time machine backup....but I'd hate for this to happen again so just wanted to know what could have possible caused this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks bigpoppa206 for the solution. For anyone with the same problem here it is:

Here is the repair procedure for a real Mac, you will need to make adjustments as fits our systems:

Boot off the OS X CD (reboot, hold C while booting).

The installer will load up, go to Utilities in the menu and run Terminal.

Type df and look for the drive that has your Mac system mounted---you'll have to unmount this. On my MacBook Pro, it was /dev/disk0s2.

Type umount /dev/disk0s2, replacing disk0s2 with whatever disk your OS lives on.

Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2. If you umounted the wrong thing, it will complain that you can't repair a mounted drive. Go back and umount the right thing and repeat this step.