Buying a 6850 or 6870 today

64Bit

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a 4830 installed right now, on a Gigabyte G31 mobo, with a E5200 CPU OCd to 3.8ghz. Running 10.6.3 with no issues at all.

I am thinking of picking up a 6850 or 6870 today, and was wondering if I can just pop the card in, install "Andy's" driver package with no issues?

I use Logic Studio, and have tons of projects, AUs, samples, etc and I don't want to reinstall the whole thing, so I want it to be a smooth transition from 4830 to 6850/6870 ... No issues, no troubleshooting...

Let me know if the card will work out of the box, without breaking my SL install. If you have a suggestion for a better card, that will work right away, please let me know.

Thank you!

64Bit

I can't speak for others but my 6850 process has been anything but smooth and is still not running after spending 20+ hours on it. I am going to give it a couple more days before I pack it all up and return it.

At this point, I can get full resolution, but nothing else seems to work right. I haven't even bothered testing out the second monitor port, the DP port is a bit of a disaster, etc.

The 6850 mostly works. I use the tonymac86 method of installing OS X ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + their DSDTs from their database) but essentially the trick to getting DVD Player and co to work is to have a DSDT for your motherboard and modify it per the instructions here, because by default it doesn't choose the correct framebuffer for the card:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15798

'Duckweed' seems to be the framebuffer to use for 6850s.

Where I say 'mostly' works:

- Displayport doesn't work on boot, you have to unplug and replug

- The mouse tends to hiccup a bit, at least in my case. It might be something to do with connecting via DVI or it might be issues with my own installation stemming from previously having an Nvidia card.

Everything else is fine. It's the nearest current gen card I've seen to "working" (the NVidia 4xx's are a lot worse, they freeze all the time. I don't know if 5xx support even exists yet)

Hi,

see guide and cards test works...

http://www.finderapps.com/6870.txt

Brilliant - nice concise howto. I didn't realise there was an additional ATI tweak on top of the drivers and framebuffer override (wonder if it'd help any of my issues).

The boot.plist modification looks somewhat more sensible than the DSDT hacking method.

Edit: Following this new method, the displayport-on-boot thing is still an issue (ah well, guess I'll forget that) but the mouse - touch wood - appears to be smooth. Wahey! :D

Edit 2: Spoke to soon. It seems to start off ok on a clean boot then get progressively worse.