Hackintosh Toshiba Satellite M305D

Sooper Oozer

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This will be a thread to discuss installing OS X on a Toshiba Satellite M305D, or more specifically the M305D-S4830 model. I'm currently waiting on it's return from Toshiba where it is being repaired. The specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Turion X2 Ultra mobile ZM-80 / 2.1 ghz

Chipset: AMD M780V

Ram: DDR2 :( 4 gb

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3100

Hard Drive: WD 320 gb (replacement, original Toshiba HD failed)

Audio: ? Not sure

More info here:

http://www.laptopdrivers.net/specs/toshiba...aptop_specs.htm

Moving right along, I have had OS X running in Virtual Box on this system, but now I'd like to get it up and running natively.

I'm planning on using the newly released 10.6.6i for AMD/Intel from Hazard for the install. I'm already pretty certain I'm going to need flags -v -x cpus=2 busratio=10 (might be off on that one, need to double check) to get the installer to run. May need other tweaks, it is yet to be seen.

I'm going to try to get absolutely everything working on this. I've looked around, and it sounds like it's possible, but it may take some heavy lifting so to speak, so I'm going to use this thread as part guide part group think for others trying to get OS X up and running on this little beast.

Thoughts, concerns, hair brained ideas, and theories are always welcome!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone. Finally got my Toshiba back, and I'm already having issues.

I've tried using a 10.6.6i by Hazard distro, but it isn't quite working. I'm pretty sure it's compatible with AMD, but I'm trying to download another distro due to issues I've had.

I'm having an issue with a firewire kernel panic after the "Mac framework initializing" portion of the boot.

I'm going to try another distro, also considering installing to my spec using another machine hard drive swap, but if anyone has any other ideas on fixing this firewire issue let me know.

Just for reference I've tried using -v -x cpus=1 or 2 and busratio=10 flags

just like you ive been trying to install on a phenom x2 laptop. The toshiba a665-s6091... amd cpu, amd gfx card amd chipset.. amd everything and amd and hackintosh dont play too well...

It can be done though. I think I just got it figured out for mine. AMD can be a pain to get OS X to work on, but it will do it if you have patience and work through it.

Ok, looks like I may have made some progress...

So I tried this little CD that I found in another forum. Nawcom's Mod CD or boot CD. You can find it through Google. However, the issue I ran into with the Firewire continued to pop up. Now, I'm lucky enough to be using an 8 gig Sony USB stick which I have restored the full retail snow DVD to for my install, so I hopped on an iMac at work and mutilated some kexts by adding .bad to the ending of them. I know it might have been overkill, but the following kexts were modified:

AppleFWAudio.kext

IOFireWireAVC.kext

IOFireWireFamily.kext

IOFireWireIP.kext

IOFireWireSBP2.kext

IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext

All of this had to be done through terminal because the files were hidden in nautilus or whatever the GUI environment on Mac is. It was a pain, but I'm glad I did it.

I fired up the computer with the Nawcom Mod CD again and popped in my modified Sony USB and it worked!

It still had some issues with getting the reformatting on the hard drive done properly, but I worked it out and it's installing now. More information to come once I get to reboot it.

********NOTE: There may be other ways to do this, but right now this is the only way I know of and it may require repartitioning and completely reformating your hard drive. Be ready to reinstall windows, linux, or whatever you have... not an issue for me though. I've been wanting to try out something new for a bit anyway. Sabayon here I come...******

And... drats! The return of the FW panic. Got it installed on the hard disk though, now I need to find a way to get in there to mutilate those kexts again.

Ok, made a little more progress. Using my working install USB I was able to access terminal and change the following files.... again... on the OSX partition in order to boot. Keyboard and mouse do not work at the moment. USB keyboard and mouse do work, but I don't have the time to deal with it at the moment. I know it doesn't have anything to do with crippling the firewire because I had access to the keyboard and mouse for the install process. So... looks like I'll need to work out what kexts I need to run the keyboard and mouse and then take it from there. Important part is that at least I have some display, the hard disk, and USB ports all working at the moment.

AppleFWAudio.kext

IOFireWireAVC.kext

IOFireWireFamily.kext

IOFireWireIP.kext

IOFireWireSBP2.kext

IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext

Ugh! Got it set up with a USB keyboard and mouse, but no luck getting the internal keyboard and mouse to work. I tried installing the VooDooPS2Trackpad.pgk file, but it didn't help. Still no support. I'm going to download some things and try some different stuff but this is pretty frustrating. I don't see why it would work in the installer but not once snow leopard is up and running. I may try to see if I can switch the PS2 controller from the installer back into my version of snow leopard. Ugh, hackintoshes. What a pain.

If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know, but I'm pretty sure I'm talking to myself anyway.

Ok, nevermind...

My keyboard and trackpad are working. I'm not sure if it was the VooDoo PS2 deal I already tried to install or not, but I just rebooted and somehow my keyboard and touch pad are both working now! So, I'm down to tweaking the graphics, getting sound, and getting wifi (might be a pipe dream).

Here is the really odd part...

I've been using that nawcom mod CD I downloaded. I had been loading the Modbin kernel because I believe that is the kernel with AMD support and this is an AMD machine. Well, I didn't mean to reboot from the CD, I was trying to get back to Ubuntu and in an attempt to cause a kernel panic so I could reboot I just let it boot from the hard drive essentially using a vanilla install. Well... it actually booted vanilla. Don't ask me how, I don't know.

So, I'm off to find video support.

Still no luck on video support... I started a new thread just for ATI Radeon 3100 support. View it over here.

Seems like it should be doable. A few of the cards that are supported are based on the same chip set so it seems like it should be possible to get it up and running. Looks like it will simply take more cajoling than I had anticipated.

Oh well... Give me your best guess!