Dual CPU or 6 core worth it over 4 core.

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

It's my 21st in a few months and will be getting a new computer probably as cant think of anything else I want. Will have to be hackintoshable with all the main stuff like all sata ports audio and ethernet and shutdown/restart, but sleep is a non issue as its always on. But anyway all the mobo's I have selected are fully supported for my requirements anyways.

But my main concern is performance.

System 1

x8dal-i board (or similar)

Dual Xeon E5520 2.26GHz quad cores (8 real cores, 16 threads)

6GB (could be doubled) DDR3 ECC RAM

£841.12 with 6gb RAM or £965 with 12GB

System 2

Gigabyte X58-UD5

i7 960 3.2GHz quad core

12GB RAM

£494

System 3

x58-UD5

i7 970 3.2GHz Six core

12GB RAM

£734

System 4

Gigabyte p67-ud4-b3

i7 2600k

8GB RAM

£392.78

All obviously adding drives and graphics but thats the same for all of them

I am probably most serious about the i7 970 build, the 6 core is really attracting me. But I didnt know if a stock 970 would be 1.5 times the power of a stock 960 or 2600k. Essentially, do you people think its worth the premium for the dual cpu setup or the i7 970?

Also, these builds are all stupidly cheap compared to the equivalent Mac Pro which would be my alternative (2.5k for the 6 core), and so price isnt the hugest thing.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• 2 months later...

How about you goto new egg and read those b3 gigabyte reviews. Also gigabyte is not accepting rma in loop boot issue as it's an unknown hardware issue that they swear isn't caused by their motherboard. Anyways I would get an asus or msi for sandy bridge or go with any of the 1366 chipsets with a 12mb l3 cache and you'll be content without a doubt. I recommend [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install.

It is only my personal opinion, but an i7 960 12GB RAM system should give you plenty of horsepower and it is extremely good value for money.

I also second projekt k's opinion, I'd rather go for an Asus. Or even an Intel DX58SO2 (only, they are not well supported by the OSx86 community yet, which is a shame, because Intel mobos are incredibly stable and reliable).

You can spend the rest of your money for a fast, large HDD, a good PSU (never underestimate the PSU, I like the high end Enermax), a nice, well ventilated case...

I think the dual cpu box only interests me due to the challenge of it. Not many people at all that I can find have built dual cpu builds. If anything, think I will probably go for the 2600k over the 960. But we shall see in mid july how exam results and birthday goes. As I want a 30" ACD too, money for the dual xeon (£1400+) will be tight I think.