850w PSU Fix?[[SOLVED]]

eelhead

10 posts in this topic

Ok so in my infanant wisdom I wanted to remove a power supply unit from it's case and set it into another case. I came across a situation where I thought I had the awesome skills to remove the power socket and switch from a little circuit board. Well I broke the board. So now I am trying to find a replacement socket to try and wire up but I have not a clue of what the name of a couple of things nor where I can even find a replacement for them. SO I will throw it up on here and see if any of you all could help me out

Thanks

The PSU

IMG_4087.jpg

OUtside plug socket and power switch

IMG_4189.jpg

inside view of plug socket and power switch

IMG_4192.jpg

OK so here are the pics with it apart

The power socket was attached to the three slots at the bottom where its broke and the switch was at the vertical slots towards the top.

IMG_4293.jpg

Close up

IMG_4308.jpg

And back side

IMG_4310.jpg

ok no wires anymore

IMG_4465.jpg

and now the green box thing.

IMG_4467.jpg

The two long wires off the switch connect to this plug, I don't know what that is.

IMG_4458.jpg

And of course these are the connections from the power socket L & N

IMG_4460.jpg

And an over view of the PSU.. On the left the white plug is there and on the right is were the L & N plugs are with the yellow glue.

IMG_4462.jpg

Any help on a solution would be much appreciated!!!!!

here is a link to all the photos

PSU/Hackintosh

Hey man. Its gus form the other forum. Anyway, I'm pretty sure if you just solder the live and neutral pins to the back of the tri pin socket (the black one where the power cables goes in, sorry dont know what its called.) and obviously then the ground it should work. The blue things are capacitors and so is that big green box. I'm not sure what the box cap. is doing but im pretty certain that the blue ones go from each power rail(live, neutral) to earth obviously one for neg to earth and the other live to eath. (thats how they were in three off the power supplys i opened). I have mine running with no capacitors and no switch and seems to be okay.

Hey man. Its gus form the other forum. Anyway, I'm pretty sure if you just solder the live and neutral pins to the back of the tri pin socket (the black one where the power cables goes in, sorry dont know what its called.) and obviously then the ground it should work. The blue things are capacitors and so is that big green box. I'm not sure what the box cap. is doing but im pretty certain that the blue ones go from each power rail(live, neutral) to earth obviously one for neg to earth and the other live to eath. (thats how they were in three off the power supplys i opened). I have mine running with no capacitors and no switch and seems to be okay.

Hi Gus lol

So your not running any resisters then? I did find what they are and ordered the two little blue ones and the ceramic tube one, it was only .41 cents lol. I was going to copy the basic outlay of the previous 850w Thermaltake PSU, it didn't have that little mobo and was all connected together.

I was nervous to just connect the N & L leads off the plug directly to the PSU board. My only other thing is I don't know what the long connection from the switch to the PSU mobo is for?

Thanks Gus :(

If the have a number then an F. that is a capacitor example on the green box one i read 0.68µF. which means 0.68 x 10−6F. (sorry if you already know this, it does sound as though im treating you as if you know nothing, which its not meant to) anyway. so yes capacitors are measuring in farads(F)generally micro(µ) Farads. And if its a resistor it will have a number on it then an Ω. Which is ohms.

I believe they are all capacitors, just different types. and as to your switch. what im thinking is, that if the wires from the white plug go directly onto the switch and no where else then it is a simple switch circuit allowing the powersupply to work. However, more likely is the wires from the white plug ones goes directly to switch one is put onto the circuit board somewhere? If this is the case i think that one will go directly to the powersupply main board. the other will go into the circuit board possibly onto one side of the green capacitor(cant think what that green one is for) and then onto the negative wire from the tri pin socket. May not make much sense, im not very good at explaining. im going to attempt and make a diagram and stick it up.

Could you mark on the photo of the circuit board where all the cables were connected. i.e earth, the wires from the white plug and also where the switch was posistion and also how many connecters the switch has. cheers.

Edit. added a wee diagram. does it make sense, look correct, before it broke?

post-739479-1302201015_thumb.jpg

OK I did the back description for you as well :(

Thanks for the input so far :D

I also wanted to say that this PSU will be housed in the G5's original PSU case. I have a bunch of pics to show when it's all done. Right now I have a back up 850w Thermaltake I will be using till I can get this one going.

Adam

DiscriptionofBack.pdf

Okay cool. On this picture, the pins inside each blue box need to be connected together. so on the top right of the board, the pin from the switch and the pin to the white plug need to be soldered together. (so you can solder this straight onto the back of the switch) Understand?

the green capacitor appears to be connecting the live and neutral rail.

the blue capacitors ,as mentioned, go from live to earth and neutral to earth.

On your switch two terminals should have wires going to the white plug. (make sure you know which one goes with which, could be bad if you reversed the polarity) One terminal should have live power rail. Last terminal should have no connection.

This should work, just make sure your very careful noting which wires go where ect. And please dont blame me. This is only what i think is correct. good luck. orr you could try and find a computer technicain? or general electrician to take a look. they would be able to do it in now time. post-739479-1302208295_thumb.jpg

lol No I won't blame you, this is all me. Taking things apart I know nothing about and breaking them.

And yeah I understand that the items in each blue box has to be connected together.

I was pretty much going to try and do it the way you got it all planed out as well. I still know what wires go where and took a lot of other pictures as to not mix them up. I also have the other PSU that doesn't have a little board on the back like this one does.

Thank you so much for this!