Confused about the 10.6.0 to 10.6.6 upgrade

KiD0M4N

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I finally decide to grow a pair and move away from the slow as ass VMware install of MAC OS X.

I want to delve into some iPhone development, hence the sudden interest in setting up a fast working install of Mac OS X 10.6.6 + Xcode 4!

So, to cut a long story short, I am trying to install Mac OS X 10.6.6 using the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724

Hat off to everyone one on that thread! There is a lot of information there... however, for a new comer to the Mac world (like me), it is becoming a little too hard to process!

Where I am:

I have currently managed to install Mac OS X 10.6.0 onto my HDD (AHCI) using a USB drive restored using retail .dmg (I have a copy of the 10.6.0 Retail Disk...) However, I do not have a working DVD drive with me!

Now, after installing the supplied package (tailor made for the P6T motherboard) I am able to get 10.6.0 working (since I have a AMD Radeon HD 5870, I have to boot with GraphicsEnabler=n to get into Mac OS X) with network access. I am using the DSDT inside the package. I have not tried using the other DSDT's available in the thread by iReset (Fabio)

As soon I do the upgrade to 10.6.6 (using the Combo Package), my install stops booting. It stalls somewhere after a bunch of lines about PS2Glide (see the attached screenshot for detail.)

I have tried a few things but nothing seems to be working. Am I not supposed to be updating to 10.6.6? I would think that hardware compatibility would increase (and not decrease) with the combo update.

So, do let me know what should be my next logical step.

Regards,

Karan Misra

post-760839-1300500965_thumb.jpg

Don't load PS2 trackpad drivers if you don't have a PS2 trackpad. That kext is for laptops.

It's highly recommended to use USB mouse/keyboard only. If you must use PS2 input devices do not mix them with USB input devices, ie don't use a PS2 mouse and a USB keyboard.

Do not use other people's DSDTs unless they have the exact same motherboard revision, BIOS version and settings and amount of RAM installed as you.

Don't load PS2 trackpad drivers if you don't have a PS2 trackpad. That kext is for laptops.

It's highly recommended to use USB mouse/keyboard only. If you must use PS2 input devices do not mix them with USB input devices, ie don't use a PS2 mouse and a USB keyboard.

Do not use other people's DSDTs unless they have the exact same motherboard revision, BIOS version and settings and amount of RAM installed as you.

Hey Gringo.

I have actually not loaded any KEXT myself. I am just using the standard steps outlined in the tutorial (and getting a working 10.6.0 install) and then upgrading to 10.6.6.

I have a USB mouse (Steelseries Ikari Optical) and PS/2 Keyboard (TVS Gold, Mechanical keyboard)

I was planning to use the DSDT (from this post here) as it is recommended by iReset from the thread mentioned in the OP. Currently, the DSDT being used is automatically installed by the motherboard specific package file.

I have also created my own DSDT by using the DSDT tool. Should I be using that instead?

Regards,

Karan Misra

I am currently trying to install Mac OS X using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method! Hope it goes well!

Voila!

I just tried adding 'arch=i386' to the boot settings and it booted right up!

So I am at 10.6.6 with QE/CI enabled on my 5870 using Netkas's kexts!

Now I need to figure out why 64 booting is not working!

Any pointers?

Karan

PS: I am using 6 GB RAM, I need to run 64 bit right?

Heya,

I found that out... however, I have now gotten 64 bit kernel (10.6.6, yet to upgrade to 10.6.7) and extensions going.

I was quite surprised that something as simple as a bootup with "-x" fixed it.

What does "-x" do exactly that could have fixed the bootup issue?

I have also noticed that if i run kext utility, my 64 bit bootup starting kping.

Weird?