Transfer my install to a new hard drive?

Flaystus

3 posts in this topic

Assuming you have a way to mount the new drive already, you should be able to go into Disk Utility and format the new drive to your needs. Then you can either use the Restore tab of Disk Utility to move your existing hd/partition over or you can use the free program Carbon Copy C1oner to do the move which is considered by many to give a better transfer. Takes about 30 minutes for me with a 40GB partition.

I don't use chameleon for boot but I think you have to reinstall onto your new drive if you do.

Assuming you have a way to mount the new drive already, you should be able to go into Disk Utility and format the new drive to your needs. Then you can either use the Restore tab of Disk Utility to move your existing hd/partition over or you can use the free program Carbon Copy C1oner to do the move which is considered by many to give a better transfer. Takes about 30 minutes for me with a 40GB partition.

I don't use chameleon for boot but I think you have to reinstall onto your new drive if you do.

You do and diskutil has never failed me in dozens of times doing it.