Can't control the ATI Framebuffer

thenk

7 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've setup with a modified Kabyl bootloader (from atlee) which boots my system up fine, I get no internal display. That's fine - it's somewhat working. I get external display on the VGA port - and it also seems to pick up my HDMI.

But it doesn't matter what boot flags I give it, it ALWAYS loads this way. Opening the IORegistry to inspect the VGA@0 class reveals that it's decided 'compatible' framebuffer is ATY,Megalodon. I've read that this framebuffer outputs to the external device fine but doesn't have any internal output - so that's pretty much in line.

I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong? I've removed all reference to AtiConfig in the Boot.plist.

If I boot with GraphicsEnabler=No I get the internal screen up at it's usual resolution (1366x768) although it lists 1024x768.

I extracted my VBIOS and loaded it into boot as 68c1_1002.rom (or the other way around, I forget) - it doesn't seem to matter whether this is there or not when not using UseAtiROM, though if it's not and you specify 'UseAtiROM=Yes' then it craps out trying to load the rom.

Question is - how the hell do I change framebuffers? I'm pretty certain 'Eulemur' is going to work if I can just get it to attempt to boot with something other than Megalodon. :)

Hi, I'll try to help...

Boot anyhow, make sure you're on 10.6.6 and install ATI5000Controller, ATIFramebuffer and ATISUpport from Lion with kexthelper.

Then please download my boot file from my thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250905.

You don't need your VGA rom... Boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet

Please report back, I've got an HP too, but they're behaviour is very strange...

Hi, I'll try to help...

Boot anyhow, make sure you're on 10.6.6 and install ATI5000Controller, ATIFramebuffer and ATISUpport from Lion with kexthelper.

Then please download my boot file from my thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250905.

You don't need your VGA rom... Boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet

Please report back, I've got an HP too, but they're behaviour is very strange...

Hi checco, thanks for your reply.

I discovered that in fact was the bootloader I was using, just was referred from Atlee's post.

I am runing 10.6.6 with ATI5000Controller, ATIFramebuffer and ATISupport from Lion, using your rom and booting with that string. I have also tried other AtiConfigs, no AtiConfig, and typing random letters i.e. AtiConfig=HEHARNARJKL.

Nothing makes a difference, it still boots, loads up the driver with Megalodon framebuffer.

I've looked in the IORegistry and it comes up with three connectors, one HDMI (0x800) , one VGA (0x10) and one other which I'm not sure but I think is the LVDS - 0x2.

Doesn't matter what string I give it to boot, it still loads the same way!

Now i understand why it is.

Wish you tell us before that you are using the lion kexts.

With the lion kexts no GraphicsEnabler is needed! The kexts selects the framebuffer by itself.

If you want to change your framebuffer you have to use the kexts from SL. :D

Greetz

Hi checco, thanks for your reply.

I discovered that in fact was the bootloader I was using, just was referred from Atlee's post.

I am runing 10.6.6 with ATI5000Controller, ATIFramebuffer and ATISupport from Lion, using your rom and booting with that string. I have also tried other AtiConfigs, no AtiConfig, and typing random letters i.e. AtiConfig=HEHARNARJKL.

Nothing makes a difference, it still boots, loads up the driver with Megalodon framebuffer.

Sometimes i had the issue that the kabyl bootloader wasn't installed if i had before another one. Make rely shure that you have kabyls branch on running.

You can try also "Multibeast3.x" and choose ATI Experimental (google will help you)

Now i understand why it is.

Wish you tell us before that you are using the lion kexts.

With the lion kexts no GraphicsEnabler is needed! The kexts selects the framebuffer by itself.

If you want to change your framebuffer you have to use the kexts from SL. :)

Greetz

It's odd that it seems to work for others - if I use GraphicsEnabler=No, then it boots with a default vga driver showing only 256mb.

Can I get the 5650 working without the Lion kexts? I'm not sure, I haven't seen a method for that yet, other than I suppose messing with the drivers - but this is my first install so I'm not sure.

Is it possible to recompile the kext with a different default framebuffer? Might that be how others have been doing it?

I hate to bump this, but I am still having this issue.

I have now moved back to using 10.6.6 kexts which don't seem to work, I haven't yet been able to figure out how to patch it to do so - I've now downloaded the source for Cham and the developer tools and am working on doing a custom bootloader to try and force the issue.

Still, I am unable to specify the framebuffer with a boot flag with either 10.7 or 10.6.6 kexts. It loads with Megalodon regardless - but the bootloader doesn't have Megalodon as the default buffer for my card, in fact the card's not even listed that I know of. So who knows.

I'll keep trying.. :/