[SOLVED] Refining System for Speedstep - DSDT problem

1 post in this topic

Hey, I've had a stable system for a while now. I'm running an OEM Intel/Gateway motherboard with G33 chipset and a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU. In Mac OS X I've had a disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement since day one due to the KPs it will cause. I was looking to get speedstepping working with that kext loaded so I started researching DSDT patches. I extracted my DSDT and following this guide, attempted to make the changes. I defined the 4 p-states I should have and put in appropriate values with the help of p-state calculator. Then I recompiled with DSDT Patcher (1.0.1e) and put the .aml in my Extra directory. I also took out NullCPUPowerManagement and rebuild the mkext. On boot, I then get a KP from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement complaining that no HPETs were found. I went back and ran DSDT Patcher again and it says that it found HPET and added IRQs, I see them in the decompiled file. I did a lot of googling but I can't find anything that even gives me an idea of what the HPET device section should look like. From my understanding, the patcher fix should have taken care of it. Am I missing something? Thanks.

EDIT:

Well I feel stupid... I had a nagging feeling I was forgetting something so I looked in my BIOS and low and behold there is a nice, shiny option called "Enable HPET." Not sure why it was off in the first place, but one little binary flip and now it's working. It remains to be seen if my system runs better following this patch, but it boots just fine now.