Updating Mac OS X 10.6.3

hpackintosh

2 posts in this topic

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.3 With Rebel EFI. Nothing else, I don't have chameleon or whatever it is. I have some custom kexts installed on System/Library I heard that you can't update if you have custom kexts, but nobody explains why?

Will it break the OS, will it just not boot up any more?

Or will my kexts just stop working?

I don't care if my kexts stop working, I'll just re-install them. So I was wondering which one it is.

Also is there anyway I can install kexts externally, so it won't affect my updates using the setup I have (no reinstalling Mac OS X) or no?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.3 With Rebel EFI. Nothing else, I don't have chameleon or whatever it is. I have some custom kexts installed on System/Library I heard that you can't update if you have custom kexts, but nobody explains why?

Will it break the OS, will it just not boot up any more?

Or will my kexts just stop working?

I don't care if my kexts stop working, I'll just re-install them. So I was wondering which one it is.

Also is there anyway I can install kexts externally, so it won't affect my updates using the setup I have (no reinstalling Mac OS X) or no?

I've read that if you have SleepEnabler.kext installed, that you have to delete it before you install.

Because it will cause a kernel panic if you don't. Each new version of SL has a sleepenabler.kext

that is specific to it. IMO, Hackintosh is not stable enough that you should upgrade without making a backup of your old working system. I think it works this way; Your /Extra folder has subfolder Extensions with *.kexts in it. I don't think this gets upgraded because Apple doesn't use an Extra folder, that is for Hackintosh. I think that the kexts in System/Library/Extensions do get upgraded when you move to 10.6.5. I'm not sure that sure that all your custom stuff will work because I'm not sure if the update is minor. I don't think there is a change in the kernel and I think the update is minor, just not sure, which is why a backup is a good plan. Plan the work and work the plan.