Changing ID for a sound card?

Geesu

7 posts in this topic

My sound isn't working and I know I have an AC97 sound card thing (I checked dell's website w/my service tag, if there is another way to verify this how can I do that?)

But basically I start up MAC OS X and it yells at me saying it acn't load the extension... I've seen on the forums people mentioning changing an ID in the .kext file, what is this all about? Perhaps I need to do this to get it working?

If so, where do I get this ID number from?

I'm using a Dell Dimension 5150

Thanks!!

Guest BuildSmart

That's because they are modifying the driver in a manner that works marginally cause it doesn't properly recognize the hardware registers which are different than the device driver's intended hardware.

The source for the AC97 driver is available and modification of the source to properly recognize and utilize the hardware is by far the superior method but people are looking for someone else to do the work because:

a) they have no programming experience/knowledge.

B) they're too lazy to do it the right way themselves.

Is there any documentation on this? I'm a programmer myself and I am very comfortable with changing source code, but where do I find these IDs at?

It looks like a large number so I'd imagine they're not just changing it randomly.

Guest BuildSmart

Try looking at the source and you'll see it's easy to add your hardware.

REQUIRES XCODE TO BUILD

Also, from a source level you'll be able to set the IO registers to match your hardware so you wont get things like sound-out on the line-in and line-in will actually work.

AppleAC97Audio_5.tar.gz.zip