chameleon destroyed

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

i think i destroyed my chameleon bootloader today with installing ubuntu^^...

first of all my system: i have a ga-ep45-ds3 with core 2 quad q9550 and gtx275 and two hd's, one with windows 7 (mbr) and one with os x 10.6.6 (on gpt disk with chameleon).

everything worked fine but today i installed ubuntu 10.10 using an boot usb stick on a seperate partition on the windows drive! after the install finished, there was no booting possible from the chameleon/osx disk any more. (some error like "read failed" or something). booting windows is working normal like before...

i already deleted the linux partition but now i have no idea how to restore/reinstall chameleon on the osx disk without being able to boot in osx.

any advice?

thx

c.-brushis

When you installed ubuntu where did you install grub?

It needs to be installed to your ext3 / partition otherwise chameleon can't pick it up.

Grub has probably set it's self as the active partition so stick your windows install disk in and use diskpart to set os x as the active partition, then you'll get chameleon and be able to choose your os

Hey guys,

i think i destroyed my chameleon bootloader today with installing ubuntu^^...

first of all my system: i have a ga-ep45-ds3 with core 2 quad q9550 and gtx275 and two hd's, one with windows 7 (mbr) and one with os x 10.6.6 (on gpt disk with chameleon).

everything worked fine but today i installed ubuntu 10.10 using an boot usb stick on a seperate partition on the windows drive! after the install finished, there was no booting possible from the chameleon/osx disk any more. (some error like "read failed" or something). booting windows is working normal like before...

i already deleted the linux partition but now i have no idea how to restore/reinstall chameleon on the osx disk without being able to boot in osx.

any advice?

thx

c.-brushis

Get something like empire EFI or nawcoms boot disk. It will let you boot into osx so you can reinstall chameleon.

As for linux, when you install it, there is an "advanced option" towards the end of the install process which lets you pick the location for grub. Install grub to the same partiton you install linux to. This will let you boot linux with chameleon.

Hi, with nawcoms boot disk i got kernel panic. luckily i have an imac and an external hd case so i could reinstall chameleon from the imac.

now i installed ubuntu on a partition on the windows drive and grub on the ubuntu partition but it's not shown in chameleon so i'm not able to boot ubuntu...