Broadcom 4320 chipset Wireless card

YoMuS

12 posts in this topic

Hi!

Since there's a new forum for Lion post installation's problems, here's mine.

My perfectly working since Tiger wireless pci card is not loading under Lion. Lion loads two kexts:

AppleAirPortBrcm43212.kext and AirPortBrcm43xx.kext, (also loaded both in SnowL)

but there's no actual airport device showing up in Network preferences.

I tried a lot of things, removing either one at a time to see if they worked alone, copying the Snow leopard plist properties to either kexts, etc.

Maybe someone has a better idea.

Thank you!

I believe that on Lion there might be a strict id check for wifi devices. Some people reported that the same issue will exist on 10.6.7 as well.

I think the best way to test this is to use a DSDT trick to make sure that your wifi device id is identical to a real mac's. Here is what I mean:

I am using a HP Atheros 9280, which have these ids: 0x168C, 0x1382

0x168C is for Atheros but 0x1382 is not Apple. It is still working but I wanted to make it better.

When you look at iMac11,1 and iMac11,2 you'll see that they have these values for Atheros 9280: 0x168C, 0x8F.

So, in the footsteps of The King, I followed this guide and applied DSDT hack. Result, it did change the subvendor id of wifi card. It is the same trick we make for USB devices. Now Apple is seen as the vendor.

Theoretically speaking, I suggest you try to find ioreg dump of a real mac that uses the same wifi card with you and try to use those ids. Some people do the same trick with an injector kext but I prefer DSDT. Sure it doesn't mean that your problem is your device id but it is not unlikely either.

Good Luck,

I hope not, JBraddock.

I've been looking around and the kext is not the same as in Snow Leopard.

The new one is named AirPortBrcm43xx.kext , and the SL's one is named AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

Maybe is an incomplete kext and is not working at all... weird

I hope not, JBraddock.

I've been looking around and the kext is not the same as in Snow Leopard.

The new one is named AirPortBrcm43xx.kext , and the SL's one is named AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

Maybe is an incomplete kext and is not working at all... weird

I see but you need to make sure that you have the correct sub vendor id. That's what I am saying.

Good luck,

• 2 months later...

You can also copy the IO80211Family.kext from Snow Leopard to your Lion install. Repair permissions, delete caches and it should work with DSDT inject or Injector kext. It works for my BCM4315 with the BroadcomFix.kext (id injector).

Running Lion DP3. My Belkin Broadcom BCM4306 PCI Card was never seen at all by Lion but works well in Snow Leopard. I switched the card with a Broadcom BCM4318 MiniPCI wireless card (in a MiniPCI to PCI adapter) and it was instantly recognised and connects without any problems. Nothing was done to make it work (i.e. no special kexts or edits). This is working with a GigaByte G31M-ES2L rev 2 (BIOS version FI) motherboard.

• 1 month later...

I still have to swap the snow leopard IO80211Family kext to get my wifi pci card to work under Lion GM.

Anybody has achieved to get a Broadcom PCI card recognised?

Thanks!

I have the same problem so far with Lion GM (and did not have that problem with DP4.) My SL IO80211Family.kext does not work in my Lion installation - the AppleAirPortBrcm43212.kext will not load. I am using the Dell 1390 Wireless Mini-card (on my Dell Inspiron 1720.) I don't think a DSDT patch will work because there is no Apple IDs for this card (to my knowledge.) I hope more possible solutions will be offered to address this issue.

OK, I got WiFi working. I used the kexts I uploaded below. I had to match the IO80211Family.kext with the same version of IONetworkingFamily.kext. However, once I did that, I lost Firewire function (not that I use it but I want to try to get everything to work) so I also used the same version of IOFireWireFamily.kext and IOFireWireIP.kext. Now, both WiFi and Firewire show up as network adapters in Network Preferences. I hope it works for others as well.

WiFi.zip

FireWire.zip

OK, I got WiFi working. I used the kexts I uploaded below. I had to match the IO80211Family.kext with the same version of IONetworkingFamily.kext. However, once I did that, I lost Firewire function (not that I use it but I want to try to get everything to work) so I also used the same version of IOFireWireFamily.kext and IOFireWireIP.kext. Now, both WiFi and Firewire show up as network adapters in Network Preferences. I hope it works for others as well.

WiFi.zip

FireWire.zip

On my Inspiron 1720 with Dell 1390 and your kexts without BroadcommFix.kext WiFi is not working.

On my Inspiron 1720 with Dell 1390 and your kexts without BroadcommFix.kext WiFi is not working.

I guess what I posted was incomplete. Most people with the Inspiron 1720, in order to run Lion, had to replace Lion's AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext with the version from 10.6.7. Those kexts have been posted on this board elsewhere. The kexts I posted are the same version as the 10.6.7 IOPCIFamily.kext, which is the same kext that is changed by the BroadcommFix.kext. I hope you got yours working. My Lion is running really well now.