can't make dot1q trunk on ICH9 running 10.6

vividvew

5 posts in this topic

I have two IP35 Pro MBs and am using the two onboard Gig NICs(Intel ICH9-R). I found out today that the option to make a vlan in Network settings is greyed out. "System Preferences -> Network -> Manage Virtual Interfaces -> New Vlan"

One is running SL and the other is running SL Server but the option is not available on either. I need to run a dot1q trunk to the one running SL Server but can't. I checked on my MBP and the option is not greyed out. Wanted to see if anyone has run into this issue. I am a bit confused as I was under the impression that the ICH9 used the stock Apple driver for the onboard NICs.

Any help would be great. Thanx.

p.s. If anyone knows an add-in NIC that works in 10.6 as a dot1q trunk I would be willing to do this as well. I need approx 5 vlans for VMs and I really don't want to use 5 NICs and burn 5 ports on my switch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just in case anyone is googling this in the future this is working in 10.7.2 using the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 driver from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I can now create a dot1q trunk and push multiple vlans down to my hackintosh!!!