Used to have a perfect Hackintosh til I switched to SATA HDD's

dake22

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm not really new in OSX86 world, I've tried many compilations on different hardware and computers but I want to ask about a problem I'm having now and can't figure out how to solve it.

I had a perfect hackintosh with iPC 10.5.6, and all my hardware worked perfectly or with no major problems. But I tried to install OSX in a SATA HDD and it took over three hours to complete, when normally a full system install tooked over 30 minutes (with IDE HDD's). I looked in BIOS if SATA controller shoud be put in IDE or if AHCI was turned on, but my motherboard doesn't support it, because there's not this option. RAID mode is off.

________________________________________________________________________________

My hardware:

Intel Pentium 4 3,2 GHz

1,5 GB DDR400

Motherboard P4VM900-SATA2

Chipset: VIA P4VM900/VT8237S

Audio: Realtek ALC660VD or SB Live 5.1 EMU10k1 with KXaudiodriver (both can work good)

HDD is a Western Digital 320 GB SATA drive

PCI-E XFX NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT

________________________________________________________________________________

I think that I'm missing something, and so my SATA controller is not working correctly. Any idea about how to get SATA working good? (not this slow) :P

I have tried iPC 10.5.6 PPF3 (The best so far in this computer) and now I'm trying iATKOS S3 v2. Both last a lot to install in a SATA drive, so it's not a problem of Snow Leopard.

Any suggestion about a specific distro?

Thank you very much, any help is very appreciated :)

it could be a bios or chipset issue since you can't tell if sata is operating in ide mode or ahci it'll b difficut to pinpoint. i would check to ensure that you have the current bios rev. also you can try to load windows just to see how it loads & runs. (tinyxp or tiny windows 7 :() that might give u an idea

it could be a bios or chipset issue since you can't tell if sata is operating in ide mode or ahci it'll b difficut to pinpoint. i would check to ensure that you have the current bios rev. also you can try to load windows just to see how it loads & runs. (tinyxp or tiny windows 7 :unsure:) that might give u an idea

check this

check this

I finally got iATKOS S3 working (at least booting), but I'm going to switch back to IDE HDD's, because there is no improvement with SATA HDD's, everything is slower in my motherboard. iPC installation was not possible because it did not detected properly my HDD when booting.

But it won't be the last time I mess up with SATA hdds and osx86 :)

I had similar disk drive issues with Snow Leopard on an older system that had legacy support only in BIOS for SATA drives. No AHCI. What I found was that I could only install using USB, and I could not have both HDD and optical drives at the same time. But once installed and the HD had become the boot drive, everything just worked and was as fast as IDE - or maybe faster, but at some point, there isn't much more benefit from faster disk I/O subsystems. And then I was able to hook up optical drive and it all worked. Don't know much about older Leopard versions. All my installs start with stock retail media, and some boot loader.