reqs for a SL compatible 775 mainboard?

2 posts in this topic

Dear heros,

I currently have osx 10.5.x (latest) running on my PC, and it's great; however my current motherboard is a bit weird and not particularly common, and I can't get SL running and I don't think that's going to change. I'm interested in using some tools that would require SL, and so I would like to swap out my current board for something more SL-friendly, and I'd like to do it cheaply.

And I'm having a bit of trouble sorting through my options and trying to find a board that will cooperate with both SL and the rest of my current hardware. At some point in the next little while I'm going to want to do a 'real' upgrade and get a new board and processor etc., but for the time being my system is entirely adequate for my needs. I just want to get SL working.

currently:

Asus P5K/EPU.

Intel E8400 "wolfdale" core2duo

4x1g of DDR2-667

Nvidia 8600

all in an Antec P182.

I'm pretty comfortable doing my own repairs and installations, but x86 hardware is frankly not something I think about very often, and I'm finding this relatively simple task sort of overwhelming. I've been looking at the Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G which I'm pretty confident would work, but I'm thinking that it might make sense to spend less and get a mATX board since I'm really not in it for the longterm. I just want to go to ncix.com tonight, buy a motherboard, and know it should work, and I'm worried that there will be some stupid thing I'm overlooking that is going to screw me over.

save me, internet!

I personally have a GA-G31M-ES2L that works great its cheap and compatible but only supports up to 4GB RAM

Another option would be a GA-G41M-ES2L which is ATX form factor, the G31M is mATX.

Either would be great for a hackintosh 775 system you can always look one up on a online shop thats cheap and has what you want. Then google the model number plus osx86 then there should be someone who has gone ahead and tried them selves.

Links:

GA-G31M-ES2L

GA-G41M-ES2L

Good luck and have happy hacking! :wacko: