2 separate installations of OSX? EasyBCD pointing to wrong one

aryndub

5 posts in this topic

I have a Compaq Mini 110. I initially got Snow Leopard using iPortable Snow and attempt to use H1 Clone to push it to the partition that I created on my existing hard drive. I split the hard drive in two and gave half to Windows 7 and half to OSX. I then installed EasyBCD to help with dual boot. It never actually booted in to OSX Snow Leopard using the cloned copy, but I went ahead and decided to use 10.5 leopard.

I installed it successfully, but then noticed that I had to continue using my USB drive to boot, and then it would only boot to the proper installation if I used the rm=diskXsX (in my case, rm=disk0s5) boot option. I figured I could change the boot option fairly simple, but I discovered that anytime I would attempt to boot using EasyBCD, it would attempt to load my 10.6 partition (which I thought I overwrote with the new install). The 10.6 has a new version of chameleon, so it's very easy to spot... this version of chameleon apparently doesn't read any of my commands either.

Using the disktyp command, I discovered all the partitions and type as follows below:

disk0s1 - reporting as NTFS

disk0s3 - reporting as NTFS

disk0s4 - reporting as NTFS

disk0s5 - OSX 10.5

Thoughts, ideas?

Using the disktyp command, I discovered all the partitions and type as follows below:

disk0s1 - reporting as NTFS

disk0s3 - reporting as NTFS

disk0s4 - reporting as NTFS

disk0s5 - OSX 10.5

Thoughts, ideas?

I think it is a good habit when using Easybcd to remove and then add back in boot entries after making changes to the disk. Chameleon writes a file to the MBR, to the drive and creates a /boot folder. I think if you remove all three and then reinstall Chameleon it should work. That is a risky business and you also have to have the right Windows repair (MBR) disk on hand.

So does F12 during bootup give you a choice of OS to boot from? One can also use grub2.

How to do manual install of Chameleon (names of the files involved),

http://www.taranfx.com/download-install-chameleon-bootloader

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 blackosx tutorial, Part 3

EDIT: blackosx is the forum moderator over here, http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=1671.0

There are two pages devoted to fixing a Chameleon problem. I don't think it is straightforward, although I can't upgrade Cham 2 RC4 to the Cham 2 RC5 which is the reverse of your situation. If you read the thread there is proof of why making a backup or using a test machine is good policy.

I was able to have it repoint to the proper partition finally, but unfortunately, it just gets stuck in a reboot loop with Chameleon 2. I'm able to boot just fine using USB Chameleon v1.0.12. Everything I've found online is using the GUI version and this just doesn't ever seem to "apply" when selecting my hard drive. If I could actually locate the boot file, I could simply add it to my volume.

Also, is it completely necessary to have the DSDT patched before any kexts will be applied? I have a newer Mini 110 with Windows 7 and haven't found a DSDT that will apply just yet, but figured that the kexts would still apply...but they do not.

Thoughts?

I was able to have it repoint to the proper partition finally, but unfortunately, it just gets stuck in a reboot loop with Chameleon 2. I'm able to boot just fine using USB Chameleon v1.0.12. Everything I've found online is using the GUI version and this just doesn't ever seem to "apply" when selecting my hard drive. If I could actually locate the boot file, I could simply add it to my volume.

Also, is it completely necessary to have the DSDT patched before any kexts will be applied? I have a newer Mini 110 with Windows 7 and haven't found a DSDT that will apply just yet, but figured that the kexts would still apply...but they do not.

Thoughts?

blackosx,

"For this install guide, the technical installation of Chameleon involves installing three files and creating one folder.

• Write boot0 to the first 440 bytes of the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the drive.

• Write boot1h to the partition’s bootsector which Chameleon will be installed to.

• Write boot to the partition which will hold Chameleon’s /Extra folder.

• Create a folder named Extra

So for any modified Chameleon bootloader you come across, depending on what’s been changed, you need either all three boot0, boot1h and boot files, or sometimes just the boot file if you already have uptodate boot0 and boot1h files installed. [This can be done manually.]

I've seen these boot files and sometimes customized ones named boot.gz I'll include a picture.

I decided to build a nawcom boot usb which takes at least 8GB. So I installed it to some space I shrunk from the original SL partition. Well, I could get Windows, both SL and Linux to boot, but only using the install USB. Then I installed Chameleon to the second SL install and pointed Easybcd at it.

But I got the wrong screen resolution and when I went to fix it with some embellishments using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], it came apart at the seams. I'm leaving it to stew in its own juices.

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] has an Easy install which uses a generic dsdt which worked for me early on. Try putting your Mini 110 in the search window up top and see if there is an install guide. Perhaps one needs to have ShowAllFilesandFolders enabled to see the boot file... I dunno.

post-689921-1299668395_thumb.png

Thanks... I was finally able to get it running last night using Chameleon 2.0 RC4. I did follow the steps initially and that actually forced it to look at my partition again, but it kept going in to a reboot loop because it was set to the wrong screen resolution and not using cpus=1 option. I've now got it updated to 10.5.8 and running just about everything except for voodoobattery which seems to be giving me problems. I originally wanted to install Snow Leopard, but my wifi wouldn't work without swapping it out. I plan on using this little thing for surfing and some light work with Logic 9. I hope it's not horribly slow.

Anyway, thanks for your help!