Error -5339 When Trying To Install 10.4.6

Andrew Syn

3 posts in this topic

Greetings,

In the recent past (these few weeks), I've been able to install hassle-free (or almost hassle-free) Mac OS X 10.4.6 x86 (using the JAS .iso) in two different machines (first one was a P4 3.2, 1 GB RAM, 2 80GB SATA Drives, ATI PCI-Express card, second one was a Celeron D, 512 RAM, 1 40GB HD), both running Windows XP, and dual booting through the chain0 method flawlessly.

Then I decided to try it on my modded Sony Vaio PCV-RZ25M, which is a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1.50 GB RAM, has 2 160GB and 1 80GB hard drives, two video cards (Nvidia and ATI), two sound cards (SoundMAX integrated and Creative Audigy ZS2), and else...

I got stuck at pre-install... (after having done the new partition with Partition Magic, and running the Mac OS DVD) you're supposed to go into Disk Utility, and erase the partition, to make it Mac OS Journaled. (This has been the procedure I've followed for the other two computers).

When I get there, and I try to erase the partition, I get this error message: "Volume erase failed. Unknown error: -5339". I've somewhat tried to find an answer to this error, but to no avail, and I don't understand why it's there.

What puzzles me is that this has happened with 10.4.6 and 10.4.4, therefore, I haven't been able to succesfully install Mac OS on this computer.

I was wondering if there's a fix for this somewhere, or if someone actually knows where do I go from here.

Thank you very much. =)

• 7 months later...

I ran into the same problem! Nothing worked to install OSX ... (it worked fine before)

Then I've put my last hope to format my HD with the Disk Utility on the OSX CD and it just worked fine! (Had to repartition and stuff, otherwise it won't work)...

Hope it helps for you, dunno if you're still looking for this as this thread is almost a year old :wacko:

success :(

BTW: I have A Sony VAIO FE Notebook, so I guess it's something with the VAIO's ?!