10.6.6 update woes - need expert help

Mac Junky

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, used teh combo update to go from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 yesterday and removed sleepenabler before reboot.

This is on a C2D system with 4gb on an Asus P5E-Vm HDMI running a GF275 graphics card.

edit: This is a vanilla install from the retail DVD.

It will nto boot from the Chameleon (RC3) insatlled anymore.

with just -v I get 'Still waiting for root device'

with -v -f i get KP with com.apple.IOStorageFamily (1.6.2)

with -v -f -x i get a KP with the similar

with -v -f -s i get single use mode terminal (useful)

when i boot from the Chameleon RC3 on my install USB disk

with -v -f i get com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib KP

- sometimes this gets further / less far and it's fontworker KP

with -v -f -x i get Safe Mode ;) (very useful - so shouldn't be toooo much wrong i'm hoping!)

Anyone got any clues where i should start looking?? Also, when i boot teh install disk on my system, since the upgrade from a GF9600 to the 275 i just get a black screen / monitor switches off. Is there a workaround for this? I guess its a graphics driver issue and i have treid forcing teh display mode but that does not seem to work for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

MacJunky

Okay, thanks for your help!

I booted to safe mode from the other bootloader and ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Used that to install kexts etc using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the various other options that fitted my system.

Then i got the well known com.Apple.AppleTyMCEDriver 64bit issue, so booted -s and removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and from the kext cache.

woohoo, booted.

Had to re-do my com.apple.plist to add my gfx card string and rebooted with everything except sound.

problem is i then added my VoodooHDA.kext and started getting the following error:

OSMetaClass: Kext org.netkas.fakesmc class FakeSMC is a duplicate;kext org.netkas.FakeSMC already has a class by that name.

Kext org.netkas.fakesmc start failed (result 0xdc00400a)

Kext org.netkas.fakesmc failed to load (0xdc008017)

Failed to load kext org.netkas.fakesmc (error 0xdc008017).

which seems unrelated! and after 2 successfult reboots!

Hi Guys, used teh combo update to go from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 yesterday and removed sleepenabler before reboot.

This is on a C2D system with 4gb on an Asus P5E-Vm HDMI running a GF275 graphics card.

edit: This is a vanilla install from the retail DVD.

It will nto boot from the Chameleon (RC3) insatlled anymore.

with just -v I get 'Still waiting for root device'

with -v -f i get KP with com.apple.IOStorageFamily (1.6.2)

with -v -f -x i get a KP with the similar

with -v -f -s i get single use mode terminal (useful)

when i boot from the Chameleon RC3 on my install USB disk

with -v -f i get com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib KP

- sometimes this gets further / less far and it's fontworker KP

with -v -f -x i get Safe Mode :) (very useful - so shouldn't be toooo much wrong i'm hoping!)

Anyone got any clues where i should start looking?? Also, when i boot teh install disk on my system, since the upgrade from a GF9600 to the 275 i just get a black screen / monitor switches off. Is there a workaround for this? I guess its a graphics driver issue and i have treid forcing teh display mode but that does not seem to work for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

MacJunky

in your bios Sata as AHCI ? try this boot flag : -x -v rd=disk0s2 arch=i386

i.e.disk0s2 , put your disk and parttion

Thanks chap but managed to get in and fix the original error. Now getting a KP in FakeSMC shortly after an error about duplicate FakeSMC.

First thing i had tried was booting in AHCI mode as i guessed i lost my SATA patch kext.

EDIT: All fixed now, still get the duplicate issue but system boots, re-installed chameleon with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] after managing to get into safe mode through yet another bootloader.

i'll tell you something - i'm only on the specs in my sig - but this thing is all of a sudden feels very very fast.