most powerful ATI card that fully works with OSX?

Macandcheese

3 posts in this topic

Hola InsanelyMac peoples

In light of a lot of amazing new GPU's being released, what is the most powerful ati card that one can use with a hackintosh? For my purposes, gaming, video editing, and graphic design (not in that order per say), I'm looking for a powerful card that has full acceleration and no random issues that would make it a terrible purchase, like restarts or something.

So there is the AMD Radeon HD 6970 I guess is the top of the line. Any problems with this gpu? Easy Install?

will i be able to use all the ports/extended display and mirroring/etc etc

Hola InsanelyMac peoples

In light of a lot of amazing new GPU's being released, what is the most powerful ati card that one can use with a hackintosh? For my purposes, gaming, video editing, and graphic design (not in that order per say), I'm looking for a powerful card that has full acceleration and no random issues that would make it a terrible purchase, like restarts or something.

So there is the AMD Radeon HD 6970 I guess is the top of the line. Any problems with this gpu? Easy Install?

will i be able to use all the ports/extended display and mirroring/etc etc

Nope don't think you are going to be able to use it any sooner, we are still struggling with the 5xxx that are not 100% yet but are working. Look around in the forum there are many posts on the Ati cards so you get an idea.

Nope don't think you are going to be able to use it any sooner, we are still struggling with the 5xxx that are not 100% yet but are working. Look around in the forum there are many posts on the Ati cards so you get an idea.

As things stand at the moment none of the 6000 series cards will be suitable for you. You will only get very basic vesa support with no hardware acceleration at all.

The 5000 series cards will work and do provide hardware acceleration however the performance is underwhelming to say the least. As an example the 5870 in my other PC (dual boot between windows 7 and Snow Leopard) has the following cinebench 11.5 scores..

Windows 7 cinebench OpenGL score: 37.97fps (64bit) and 40.15fps (32bit)

Snow Leopard cinebench OpenGL score: 23.02fps (64bit) and 22.87 (32bit)

Compare that to crossfired 6870's on my main pc under Windows 7 with an OpenGL score of 61.54fps (64bit) and 63.3 (32bit) which considering cinebench doesn't support crossfire and returns the same results with it disabled you can see why I want 6000 series support lol