Emachines E627 running 10.6.6 with issues

smaxx2010

4 posts in this topic

I am running 10.6.6 on my Emachines E627 laptop but it has issues.

Here is my specs:

- AMD Turion X2 TL-62 2.10GHz Dual Core (upgraded from stock AMD Athlon TF-20 1.60GHz Single Core)

-4GB DDR2-800 (May need to be cut to 1 x 2GB because system strangely overheats and shuts off randomly when there is two 2GB modules installed)

-500GB Hitachi 7K500 7.2K RPM Hard Disk

-ATI Radeon HD 3200 Mobility Graphics with 256MB Dedicated Memory, also shared memory in addition

-Realtek HD Audio

-DVDRW Drive

-Dell TrueMobile 1397 Wireless Mini-PCIE (Had to switch to this because OS X does not have any method to support the stock Atheros ASB95 wifi mini-pcie card, this Dell one works with modded IO80211Family.kext which finds this card as Broadcom BCM4315 and considers it an Airport device)

-Mac OS X Hazard (updated to 10.6.6 from 10.6.2 just fine with Legacy Kernel 10.6 reinstall prior to reboot)

Here are the issues:

- Cannot get QE/CI to work on the HD3200 even though I have installed the RadeonHD.kext to my extensions folder and also had to set the HWCursor value to false or else I would get a square cursor with lines in it running at max screen resolution of 1366x768x32 just fine now)

- Black screen when coming out of sleep mode (must reboot by hold power many seconds and hit power again to fire it up)

- Flaky Audio performance using VoodooHDA (it works but it can be very faint sometimes at full volume and also there is a hiss noise when the kernel initializes the device at startup)

-OS X performance can seem slightly choppy with the graphic interface (dont know if this is related to QE/CI or not)

-Sometimes may get random kernel panics in the middle of nowhere

-Must boot with Chameleon flag of "cpus=1"

-Had to delete SuperVIA kexts after install using terminal in install disk or else KP and never finish booting

-"Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" specified in the boot.plist is completely ignored by Chameleon and doesn't work so I have a wierdly stretched apple logo gray screen on bootup, I dont know why that flag does not work)

-Safari may crash sometimes (maybe it hates AMD chips. I have been using Firefox 3.6 and have had no trouble whatsoever.

Is there anyone else who has this system model successfully running OS X or anyone who has some good solutions to fix those issues and make this Hack-Mac run like its almost a real Mac? For instance, is there a hack to make QE/CI work with my graphics card? This ATI card is capable of DirectX 10 on windows so I would imagine it not having difficulty with QE/CI but no working solution so far but I hope I can find a way. Hey, if the Intel GMA950 and X3100 can do it and they are more inferior than the HD3200 why cant the HD3200 do it in OS X?

Thanks in advance.

- Cannot get QE/CI to work on the HD3200 even though I have installed the RadeonHD.kext to my extensions folder and also had to set the HWCursor value to false or else I would get a square cursor with lines in it running at max screen resolution of 1366x768x32 just fine now)

Mobility is not supported.

and on audio, try legacyHDA.kext. delete voodoohda first before installing

Well...I have heard that someone was able to get QE/CI to work with HD3200 and they were running 10.5.7...I just havent been able to on my system...From All I have heard GMA950s/X3100s/4500HD or various NVidia mobility cards dont have trouble with QE/CI when they are enabled with kexts, but I find it hard to believe that ATI Mobility chips have trouble with these features, after all the MacBook Pro Late-2006 has a mobility Radeon X1600 and that works fine as I have previously owned a 17-inch version of that model and QE/CI was existent on that machine...I have also heard HD3200 is very similar to the HD2400 model...Oh well...I am still open to any solution that may work...

• 2 weeks later...

Well its no use on this system any longer unfortunately. The screen got shattered and even no backlight anymore. I had to literally tear off chunks of plastic to get to the processor and apply some thermal grease to end overheat shutdown issues because some screws were stubborn and had no hope in coming off. The laptop ended up hitting the ground because it came apart uncontrollably, killed the backlight and had some nice spider web cracks on the glass of the screen as I discovered upon reassembly and power up. I think that this topic should be abandoned at this point because I have no working eMachines E627 to perform any fixes on anymore due to the catastrophy that occured...I hope this was still a helpful topic for anyone to use any info from if they had an eMachines E627 model... :(