Snow Leo for ASUS RAMPAGE III, GTX 460?

trumansnare

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone know what the best distro would be for the Asus Rampage III gene motherboard would be?

I just tried to install 10.6.2 Itel/AMD HAZARD distro. And it wouldn't even boot the install disc. Even if I set "-v" it would load about 4 lines of text and then reboot the machine back to the bios.

My PC specs are:

MB: Asus Rampage III Gene

CPU: Intel i7 930

RAM: 9gb DDR3

VIDEO card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460

Thanks a lot,

Alright

I Have the full Snow Leopard Retail disc, and I made a BOOT-123 Disc.

I set my i7 930 CPU busratio to "21"

I boot the BOOT-123 disc. Then when the darwin promt comes up I swap in the retail disc and use "-v" then hit enter. It loads about 3 lines of text and the stops.....

If I try it without the "-v" it loads one line of text and then stops....

I then went into the BIOS, under CPU configuration, I disabled everything. I kept the busratio at 21, and I set the number of cores to 1. I tried to boot the install disc again and got the same results. Three lines of text load, and then it stops loading.

Im lost.

Any advice on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

use the search forum

try to find a bootcd for your specific hardware

Alright,

I was able to find a couple bootcd's for Intel i series and Gigabyte boards. But nothing for Asus boards and Intel i series.

I found this one posted by you for Intel i series, but its for Gigbyte boards.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&hl=boot+cd

I am going to give this one a try anyways and see what happens.

Greetings,

For the specs you listed, you might want to head over to tonymac or myhack. Both are very good for i7 and NVidia graphics. It should be a good starting point to get a decent vanilla install. Good luck.

Cheers,

Prof. Synthology

Hello,

Does anyone know what the best distro would be for the Asus Rampage III gene motherboard would be?

I just tried to install 10.6.2 Itel/AMD HAZARD distro. And it wouldn't even boot the install disc. Even if I set "-v" it would load about 4 lines of text and then reboot the machine back to the bios.

My PC specs are:

MB: Asus Rampage III Gene

CPU: Intel i7 930

RAM: 9gb DDR3

VIDEO card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460

Thanks a lot,

So I tried HackBoot v5.

Which you posted about working with Intel i series and gigabyte boards. And it didn't work.

Then I tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and got different results.

With [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] it loads a white screen with the apple logo, and then a little grey box pops up and says "Error, restart your computer" I tried usin "-x and -v also"

I also tried taking out all the unnecessary components on my system. Pulled out the sound card, unplugged the other hard-drive. I then set the busratio to 21, and disabled all of the other cpu settings in the BIOS. And I still recieved the same results as above.

There must be a disc for Asus rampage boards, and Intel i series. I just cant find it.

Ok, Well I am still stuck.

I can't get the install to run still.

I am getting a kernel panic "Unable to find driver for this platform \ACPI"

Someone on tonymac said that its my GTX 460 card, that the disc doesn't have drivers for the 4xx series cards and that I should try a 2xx series card.

So I pulled out the GTX 460 and put in my GTX 260. And I still have the same error.

I have made sure that its just the bare minimum. One hard drive, One CD drive. Sound card pulled out.

I made sure the BIOS settings were correct. Busratio 21, cpu cores 1, AHCI enabled. Nothing works...

I am so lost right now. I could really use some guidance. Where should I look next?

Hi

Your KP has nothing to do with graphics card, it is to do with incorrect DSDT.aml and smbios detection. Your board should work a treat, DO NOT use a distro, RETAIL only.

I have a Rampage II gene, essentially the same board. In the bios you need to ensure:

Main > Storage configuration > SATA Configuration [AHCI]

Advanced > CPU Configuration > Intel C-STATE Tech [Enabled]

Advanced > CPU Configuration > C State package limit setting C6

All other CPU settings as default

Install using retail snow leopard DVD, latest chameleon bootloader (I prefer Kabyl's branch) and attached DSDT.aml. DSDT.aml goes in /Extra. In com.apple.boot.plist Graphics Enabler = Yes, Graphics Mode = 1920x1200x32 or whatever your screen resolution is. Hope this helps

DSDT.aml.zip