amd sata native install

9 posts in this topic

hi all!

i'm looking at and arround the macsx86 project for some time, and now i feel like i'd like to see how te mac osx really works. allthought i've red some stuff and personal opinions about getting osx to work on pc, i am a little bit confused with a hardware comatibility issue. so, if you could be so nice and take a look on my hardware list and tell should i even try to install osx on it.

here it goes:

cpu: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core

mainboard: GA-K8-NSC-939 with nForce3 (Ultra) 250Gb

hdd: seagate barracuda st3160827as sata drive

network: onboard network adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8001 - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

audio: onboard Realtek AC'97

gpu: GeForce FX5200

optical drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SCHW 16735, IDE

my main concern is my sata drive. some sources indicate sata drive doesn't work with osx, but other sources that it does. my goal is to make succesfull install from macosx86-10.4.6.-hotiso on second primary partition on this sata drive, nativelly (i heve no other drives). can it be done with this configurantion, and this or with any other version of osx install iso? if no, what method would you recommend?

Yes, you may have problems with your SATA. Some people do and others do not. nForce3 seems to be more compatible than nForce4. You can only find out by trying.

Before you start your installation, be sure to figure out whether your processor is SSE2 or SSE3 capable. A Google search might tell you, or in Windows, download CPU-Z and run it to find out. You will need this info when you install packages for your computer under the Customize section of the installation.

thank you for answering my question! well if there's no other way to tell, trying is tight spot but only i can get. i hope in case of hardware incompability it wont breake anything...:D

cpu-z shows my cpu has sse3 instructions. does it mean i do or i don't have to install any sse patchset?

Do you have PATA ports on your motherboard? For some reason SATA will not work on my board at all without a RAID configuration, but when I use the PATA ports, the drive is recognized and used. I don't think its running at full SATA speed, but there's no difference in speed when compared to my IDE drives. Worth a shot if you have PATA.

Edit.. On my board the I have 2 RED SATA ports, and 2 BLACK PATA ports. They look identical other than the color.