10.6 on Asus P5N73-AM

famousginni

5 posts in this topic

Ok, after a long time I've returned to my desktop. After successfully installing Snow Leopard many times on my Dell 6400 laptop, I felt that I needed to give my desktop a new life.

Even though I had 10.5.2 Kalyway running very nicely on my desktop... 10.5.2 is getting old, and I would like to update it to the latest 10.6.6. So I went out and bought a brand new hard drive for this install. Now after following the nVidia guide for Snow Leopard... I was utterly confused, and I haven't gotten to the part where I can boot the installation media. So I'm asking for help.

Weird thing is that although my hard drives work perfectly fine, I don't have a SATA DVD Drive, but only a PATA drive.. This has been causing problems since I think my drive doesn't like OSX, as it get extremely slow at booting Mac stuff.. so I'd thought I try another drive... same thing on this drive. I've tried different installation medias but none of them work.. so I'm forced to use USB's.

Anyways, the specs are below... and I'm starting my journey.... anyone want to help me?

I'm also thinking about getting a GFX card and I have the following options:

(XFX, ASUS, Gigabyte) Geforce 8400GS

(ASUS, Gigabyte) GeForce 210

(XFX, Powercolor) Radeon 4350

(XFX) Radeon HD 4550

(Powercolor) Radeon 3450

(Gigabyte, MSI, eVGA) Geforce GT 210

(ASUS, Gigabyte, Sapphire) Radeon 5450

Motherboard: ASUS P5N73-AM (NVIDIA GeForce 7050/nForce 610i)

Hard Drive 1: 500GB Hitachi SATA Drive with 3 Partitions (Windows 7, Backup, Storage)

Hard Drive 2: 120GB Samsung SATA Drive with 2 Partitions (OSX 10.5.2, Empty Space for 10.6)

CD/DVD ROM: LG DVD-ROM DRD-8160B

Sound: VIA VT1708B 8 -Channel High-Definition Audio

Video: Motherboard InBuilt (Planning to buy new)

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201CP, 100/10

Hello :)

I'm Krishna21 for starters, anyway, I have furnished a guide that installs Snow Leopard 10.6.5 (I have a method for 10.6.6 but I'm going to test and see how it goes, once I know it's working fine I will post, but for now 10.6.5, sorry!) on the nForce 630i Chipset, to my knowledege 630a and 630i both are AHCI Compliant so it should work.

Take a look, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219837

(Oh yeah--if you ever feel that your getting no assistance at all--don't leave! Most new members feel it, because our current experts are busy cracking down on OS X for the new generation Intel processors or other stuff, just have patience.)

(Next to that, if my guide doesn't work/not helpful, contact verdant on InsanelyMac and say you have 630a and checked my guide, and it didn't work.)

Hope I helped!

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I have Asus P5N73-AM mobo with ATI 5670 card...but when going to install snow leopard getting "still waiting for root dervices" error msg...I have SATA HDD and a PATA DVD drive and not able to install snow leopad. HELP ME!!!

Please be advice.

Thanks in advance

Abhishek Jain