Help booting problem

kam

9 posts in this topic

Hello i have a question. i have instaleld on a seperate partition OSx86 but it won't boot... kernal panic... but if i launch it through VMWare it will work fine (it seems i go tinto the os etc. it's just slow when launching programs b/c of VMWare i guess) ... anyways. Is it possible to get it to boot without VMWare on that partition...?? i'm assuming sinc eit boots in vmware and not reuglarly it's hardware issue is thre a way to resolve this or should i give up until i get a new computer or even a mac?

are you saying if i go into VMWARE and install OS X it will isntall onto the partition i want then work...?? ... wouldn't when i try to launch it without VMWARE still have problems with my hardware?

i got it to work and boot with vmware but not without.

If i install using vmware it will install on the vmware "virtual drive harddrive" witch won't really help me run it as a seperate OS ... i will have to run it through vmware then through xp and that's not what i want... so unless i get a new computer i am thinking (if i understand this) i won't be able to use it the way i want.

if im' wrong please clear it up.

Thanks!

but ramjett if i do vmware to native install yea it'll be on the hard drive but when it gets installed on the hard drive won't i hve the same hardware loading issues as before...

Probably.

The Opteron is a dual core processor, isn't it? Have you ever tried the native boot with one of the processors turned off (ie using cpus=1)?

In one of the guides for installing VMware, it says the following:

2. Start VMWare, click on 'New Virtual Machine'.

3. Choose 'Other' and then in the next screen choose 'New - Workstation 5'. Then in the next screen Click on the 'Other' radio button and choose 'Other' from the dropdown box. In the next screen give the virtual machine a name (I called mine 'OS X') then click next. Choose 'One' as number of processors, in the next screen type '512' into the box and click next

If your VMware is set up to run only one processor, then maybe that is why it works when a native boot (using both processors) has a kernel panic.