P5W-DH Getting Optical (Toslink) 10.6.6 WORKING! 2 Instead of 5 Channel Though :/

TinFoil209

3 posts in this topic

*This is Now Working! Read Below For Timeline *

*First Post MaLd0n Helped me With: http://tinyurl.com/p5w1stpost *

MaLd0n got me 90% of the way, i'm sure its something silly.. I really would like my optical connection to work with OS X. It is running fine with Vista... So I know my all my hardware is ready to go.

MaLd0n did a DSDT for me that got AppleHDA to work for the analog connections. Problem was it listed 3 outputs as "Line out" then the 4th as headphone... I went trough all of them, no dice. I tried in the bios to mark my sound as either "Vista" or "Non-Vista" and nothing fixed it. I recently did the plist change with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to make my computer look like a 5,1 MacPro, could that cause an issue?

I then asked about VoodooHDA, and he said go for it. Well I am on that now and the labeling of my outputs is more distinct, but zero mention of Toslink or Optical. Also, no for what I have receiver wise I can't go coaxial.

So with VoodooHDA this where I stand:

screenshot20110131at104j.png

I have seen posts of people getting it working. If you can get it working with apple's own HDA that would be great, if it requires a 3rd party HDA.. Then OK.. It is my understanding people want Apple's own KEXT to work so you can upgrade easier, and even a bit more efficient than 3rd party solutions?

P.S. - I was going to leave it as analog, but there is soo much damn line noise coming out of the mobo sound card!!!!! It's driving me bonkers!!!!!

Thanks to anyone reading this...

TinFoil

Hey bud. Yah once u showed me removing that one kext fixed my kernel panic I read up on that smbios would make that kext load and cause issue.. Just replaced it with the one u just gave me in this thread..

So the DSDT you gave me still good? I'm still using it with no issue.. I even feel a bit of a speed increase (might be my imagination)..

I am dead sure this is a alc882, and others got it working u.. I just remembered I had an app that had an icon of a lizard or gecko that would take a .txt (like mine was alc882.text) and I guess did modifications to the apple HDA? It worked great but this was some time ago, would something like that still apply today? I'm so lost.. LOL.

U gave me the legacy AppleHDA right (put it as a download in the last thread).. Do I need anything else? I did have "ALC8xxHDA.kext" in my extras folder, but that is a full HDA and I think it was causing issues...

Also got a copy of "ALC882Woody.kext", what do ya think?

I'm going to uninstall voodoo hda since I put in that new smbios.. Hope that might do something????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woody's ALC882 WORKS!!!!!!!!! :( Combining your DSDT work, newest Chamelon etc etc does the trick!!! Thanks to you both!!!

******Only Supports 2 Channels.. No 5 or 6 Channel, Contacted Woody, hope I get a response******

Now I wish I could control Optical volume like I can on vista. Even real macs dont let u cause optical is always suppose to be +/- 0dB change.. Eh... I got my Sony DB-930 next to me. 5.1 of 550watt speaker and 180watt subwoofer goodness!!!!!! :))))))))))))))

Thanks!! Here is woody's kext if anyone sees this post!! Thanks Mald0n and Woody!!!

Ill just include everything u gave me Mald0n.. For other P5W users just try woody's kext first then work your way up. The DSDT did specifically for me by Mald0n may or may not work for u..

I take no credit for any of this! I just made a care package for any other P5W users...

TinFoil

My_P5W_Optical_Fix_Files.zip