Nothing will Boot?

BNICE34

8 posts in this topic

I have a dell studio 540 with vista 64/OS X 10.5.6 and every thing worked fine, but I could not get all my cores running. Frustrated, I read all I could and decided to post a thread asking for help on this forum. Not a single response so I search for a specific file that I'm suppose to modify on the root of my drive, I unlocked some folders and did not change nothing just looking. Well I shut down the system and restarted to boot in vista, the bios started but would not let me boot anything. Black screen with blinking courser.

I go back into the bios and select system config and my drive with both OS's don't show up at all in the area.

What do I do?

Dell studio 540 slim

vista 64/iPC 10.5.6

8 Gigs of ram

Core2 Quad 2.86 Ghz

What, your hard drive does not show up in the BIOS anymore? ;) That means the cables have come loose or that your hard drive is toast.

Type 'blinking cursor' in the forum search box above.

Thanks for your help. The hard drive starts up and spins just is not recognized, so I'm going to see if I can get some of my info off it using a USB adapter and start from scratch with a new drive.

Any recommendations for drives?

Wait, don't give up on the drive just yet.

Try visiting the manufacturer's website, Seagate (for example) has a bootable CD image for download than will run diagnostics on their drives, sometimes it can fix the drive as well, depending on what's wrong with it.

If the drive is not even recognized in your BIOS (and you have tried other cables, switching SATA ports, etc) then it must be something serious.

Anyway go to the manufacturer's website and look for diagnostic tools.

Well I hooked the drive up using a usb adapter to my laptop and it would not show up in the my computer, but in the disk management it shows up as disk 1, but has no attributes and says unknown and not initialized. So I try to initialize the drive with MBR and GPT but then it says "The device is not ready". I appreciate all the help!

Any Ideas?

I'll go and try the website in the mean time.

Well I hooked the drive up using a usb adapter to my laptop and it would not show up in the my computer, but in the disk management it shows up as disk 1, but has no attributes and says unknown and not initialized. So I try to initialize the drive with MBR and GPT but then it says "The device is not ready". I appreciate all the help!

Any Ideas?

I'll go and try the website in the mean time.

--------------------------------------------

Update.....

I downloaded the software that Seagate recommends for their drives. And I did the steps that they suggest but no good, I'm still in the same place as before. I backed everything up about a month ago on another drive and I forgot to get the main files regarding my college loans. I really need these files! What to do......... :)

Well I'll hold on to this drive until I can figure something else out!

I downloaded the software that Seagate recommends for their drives. And I did the steps that they suggest but no good, I'm still in the same place as before.

After running SeaTools, it should tell you if the drive is beyond repair or not at the end of the test/repair. It looks at the serial number of the drive (or something) and will tell you if it's legible for RMA.

What message did you get at the end of the tests/repairs?