two trials of osx install

Sancho

3 posts in this topic

Two questions from a noobie

The first thing I tried was a "vmware server for linux" install from a dvd iso called something like 10.4.5.universal with intel_amd_sse3_sse2. The laptop I used toshiba m45-s265( has 1.6 Pentium M processor and supports sse2 only). In customize install selected the intel_base, intel_sse2 and update to 10.4.5 Now the installation seemed to be going ok until the actual copying started. It first gave a warning that there was an error checking the disk and stopped installing when it tried to copy files from the dvd. In the error log this was written

While verifying, read() returned 5: Input/Output error

Unable to copy package source file /System/Installation/Packages/BaseSystem.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom to destination receipt /Volumes/MacVol/ ......

BomFileError 5:Input/output error - /./Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility.app/Contents/Frameworks/DUSupport.framework/DUSupport

Install failed : blah ,blah

I tried this with more than one dvd, the same error.

Is there something I should change in the vm settings that could correct this problem( I tried mounting the iso image as virtual cd-rom from vmware settings, too). Or is the iso I have definitely corrupted.

My other trial was dd'ing from deadmoo image. Now using this image, the laptop seemed to boot until it hang up after saying something about ICH6-M SATA(It didn't look like an error message to me)

Sorry if this post is more appropriate for dual booting section of forum

Thanks for any help you can give me

Unable to copy package source file /System/Installation/Packages/BaseSystem.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom to destination receipt /Volumes/MacVol/ ......

That souds like a bad image, the installer was not able to decompress the file.

For the second one the best guess would be that there is no drive for your SATA controller. Best bet would be to find a DVD image from a different source and trie that. There are several 10.4.6 images out there that might work as for the deadmoo image it is quite old by now the newer images have better support from what I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the disk reading error during the installation was because of linux. I installed vmware for windows, and was able to install osx. It's slower than I had hoped(even after applying the tips to make it faster, deleting applehwsensor.kext, turning off floppy and serial ports), so I won't play much with it I guess. What I did was(now that I look back it might have ruined all of my partitions) I let the vmware access the physical hard disk directly and was able to use grub to boot into macosx. Unfortunately, I can't boot into OSX successfully natively. It freezes during boot up after probing ICH-6M SATA (using the boot options -v -x platform=X86PC ).

If anybody can help with this new problem, I'd be grateful