Kakewalk 3.1 Minimal Effort Install

mattbookpr0

1 post in this topic

I've been doing tons of research around this thread because I could not for the life of me even get to the SL install screen while following the included Kakewalk guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195248

I am using Kakewalk 3.1 USB method from an external HD. I kept running into problems, so here they are along with my fixes.

First Problem:

Boot1: Error

After I saw the Verifying DMI Pool message come up on my screen, i would see a couple Boot0 messages and then it would get stuck at Boot1:Error.

Solution:

The guide calls for you to format your USB drive in Mac OSX Extended (Journaled, Case-Sensitive). I found a forum post some where that people were receiving errors with this, but once they reformatted to Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)... BAM. Problem solved.

Second Problem:

EBIOS Error: Device Timeout

Solution:

I was finally getting to the Kakewalk screen, but as my drive was being read I was receiving these errors. I ended up pulling the drive out of my enclosure and hooking it up internally via SATA cable. I went in to my BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals and looked around for other SATA preferences to change from IDE to AHCI. I changed all of them to AHCI for the purpose of the install.

Third Problem:

EBIOS Error: Read Error

Solution:

I'm not entirely sure what was causing this one, but I think it was related to the drive I was using. I was sick of plugging/unplugging the drive all day, reformatting, restoring, re-kakewalking... So I ended up creating three partitions on the drive- all Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). I restored the Snow Leopard Install DVD to each partition, and then ran Kakewalk against each partition. At the Kakewalk screen, press any key (spacebar for me) and then you will be able to choose a partition.

I figured at least ONE of them would work and I was right. There must be a bad sector somewhere on my drive.

Fourth Problem:

Keyboard not working at Kakewalk screen for boot options.

Solution:

In the BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals, there is an option for USB Keyboard and USB Mouse. ENABLE BOTH OF THEM. You will problem need to use the "-x" option when you get into Kakewalk, so this will allow you to actually type it.

I hope these solutions work for others, as there was no single place to find all of this info. I wanted to post this on the thread, but as a forum newb... I cannot.

Enjoy!