Dell XPS 17 (L701x)

K0enkk

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

As I can't post a topic in the Laptop section (because I'm a "new user") I'll post it here

I recently bought a Dell XPS 17 laptop, and I tried installing OSX 10.6 on it, the laptop has the following specs.

- Intel i7 740 QM

- Nvidia GT445M (3GB)

- 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x 2GB)

- Intel Wifilink 1000BGN

- 2x USB 2.0 Ports

- 2x USB 3.0 Ports

- Realtek ethernet (I dont know wich one)

- JBL 2.1 Sound

The progress on installing it on this laptop is going pretty well, here is what i have currently working and what is not working.

What is currently working

- Sound (VoodooHda)

- 64 Bit

- Nice resolution (1600x900)

- USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports

- Processor detection

What is probably working

- Power management (Battery life is a bit shorter then in Windows, should it be longer?????), Restart and shutdown is working.

- Speedstep (I don't know how to check if it is, yes I'm noob)

- Nvidia GT445M , About this Mac fully detects the graphics card with 3GB of Memmory, but I don't know if QE/CI is working, how do i check if it is??? Yes and again : I'm a noob

- Ethernet : I dont use it a lot but I will try to get it working with some kext's (probably Realtek8XXX.kext???)

What's not working

- Sleep mode, when I put it in sleep it turns off for 2 sec and after that it boots up again with a black screen (look likes it's doing nothing??). When I hold the power button in the laptop fully turns off and when I start it up it uses the hibernate image, so the only problem with this is that it boots when just turned off.

- Wifi : Intel Wifilink 1000 BGN , It's tottaly unsupported, so I bought a dell WIFI card :( wich is (hopefully) supported OOB

I think these are the only thing who aren't working (= nice????????)

If everything is working , except the wificard, I will post a guide how to install it on this laptop. I hope you are able to help me because this laptop is very nice for a nice price.

English is not my tongue language and I think I made many grammar/spelling mistakes, please don't blame me for that because I think it's understandable.

speedstep=main part of power managment.You can check that with CPU-i or MSR Tools.If not working,you can also try inserting your PStates and CStates yourself and also try VoodooPowerMini.Also,Chameleon 2 RC5 has automatic PStates and CStates generation,and there are some other variations of the bootloader that work great.Sleep should work using native power managment (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment) or sleepenabler if not using the previous.Probably going to need some DSDT edits aswell.And as for QE/CI,just open the dashboard and try adding a widget,if you see a water-like ripple around the widget,it works.As for the ethernet,google around and find out what realtek chip it is.Or you can just try various RTL kexts :P

I have exactly the same specification laptop as well.

I am trying to install the iATKOS_V7 ISO onto a separate partition (had windows documents in it before) but not even getting to the Apple logo start screen before the laptop restarts itself.

Can you share some more information how you are getting on and what exactly you do as this would be very helpful?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...