Could I install a pc mobo in this G5 case? (wasn't sure where to post this)

grady.lynch

7 posts in this topic

I followed only some advices. as you can see I rotated the motherboard 90° and fitted the power supply at the top of it. the most g5 mods are done with the power supply at the bottom an the motherboard the usual way.

you have three choices:

1.mobo upright as in an atx case - you have to cut the back of the g5 case

2.mobo upright in the middle

3.mobo rotated like I did it.

with all solutions you need new selfmade stands for the mobo.

with solutions 1 and 2 you have also to cut the upper blank sheet and you can´t use the lower one, which covers usually the original power supply.

with solutions 2 and 3 you have to connect the outputs of the mobo with the back panel of the g5: soldering, glueing and some trial and error - more work but you keep the case in almost original state.

in the "mods and overclocking" section you will find a lot of inspiring g5 mods.

I followed only some advices. as you can see I rotated the motherboard 90° and fitted the power supply at the top of it. the most g5 mods are done with the power supply at the bottom an the motherboard the usual way.

you have three choices:

1.mobo upright as in an atx case - you have to cut the back of the g5 case

2.mobo upright in the middle

3.mobo rotated like I did it.

with all solutions you need new selfmade stands for the mobo.

with solutions 1 and 2 you have also to cut the upper blank sheet and you can´t use the lower one, which covers usually the original power supply.

with solutions 2 and 3 you have to connect the outputs of the mobo with the back panel of the g5: soldering, glueing and some trial and error - more work but you keep the case in almost original state.

in the "mods and overclocking" section you will find a lot of inspiring g5 mods.

Yea i've been looking through them and they look pretty cool!

With the second option you mentioned is a custom motherboard tray needed to fit an ATX mobo or are the screws already in the right spot?

Also If the mobo isn't right against the back panel, how do you get the ports to be accessible from the outside?

there aren´t any stands for the screws that fit - you have to make new stands that hold the screws.

as I mentionted before - if you don´t cut the back and fit an atx backpanel - you have to be creative.

you should be able to solder - there is no construction kit available

there aren´t any stands for the screws that fit - you have to make new stands that hold the screws.

as I mentionted before - if you don´t cut the back and fit an atx backpanel - you have to be creative.

you should be able to solder - there is no construction kit available

Ok thanks for your help!