Trusted Applet Permissions

SenVa

1 post in this topic

Hey, So speaking of posting topics in incorrect boards... Sorry. I'm not sure if this is a Linux issue but since there isn't a general programming forum and since I'm using Ubuntu I felt like I could get away with posting this question in this board. I haven't ever signed up for another forum... so since I didn't want to sign up for a new forum... I posted the topic here. If that's okay.

Here's what's up.

I'm developing a webapp on ubuntu. My web app is mostly HTML5, but it has to work with a java applet. I haven't played around with Applets much, but the applet has to read files on the local user's machine. Normally this would be impossible for an applet, but I've self signed it... which should give permissions, but when I try to read a file I get this exception:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /home/nathan/Music/test.mp3 read)

Obviously, the applet didn't receive the io file permissions.

I signed the applet by generating a key using keytool then signed it with jarsigner... It's my understanding that if I sign the applet i shouldn't have to worry about java.policy... Is that not the case? Is there a step I missed? Did I possibly do the signing the applet incorrectly?

If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.