How to resize the OS X System partition of my Hackintosh

Alimdoener

7 posts in this topic

i've got a Beautiful running Hackintosh. It also Features 2 partitions of Windows 7.

All is handled by thr bootmanager BootIt-NG.

Due to buying a SSD-drive I need to make all partitions a tad smaller. resizing the NTFS partitions (Windows) was no problem but it won't let me resize the Mac OS partition.

do you Know a Way to resize it without having to install it again.

i've got a Beautiful running Hackintosh. It also Features 2 partitions of Windows 7.

All is handled by thr bootmanager BootIt-NG.

Due to buying a SSD-drive I need to make all partitions a tad smaller. resizing the NTFS partitions (Windows) was no problem but it won't let me resize the Mac OS partition.

do you Know a Way to resize it without having to install it again.

In diskutility you can just select the entire drive (not the partition), click on "partition" and resizre it ...

I tried that, but couldn't get it to resize (see attached screenshot).

osxscreenshot.jpg

You can´t just resize it, try to choose another partition scheme with more or less partitions, just as needed. With unused space behind it should work

Ipartition maybe but you need to boot from another disk (bootable backup?)

Good idea. I have an exact copy of that Mac OSX on another disk. I can put the disk I'm currently using in the ultrabay slim port and boot from the old disk instead. I'll try this.

You also may try Gparted disk, however, be careful managing your partitions (dont make changes too large) or you may loose your data.

I tried, but it just shows up as empty space.

EDIT: I didi it. My mistake was that I booted a partition which hide all but two harddrives. In BootIt-NG I created a boot-option which shows all partitions. Then I started GParted and could resize the Mac OSX partition from 30GB to 20GB. Now I'm at it again trying to further reduce it to 15 GB. Hopefully that'll still work.