HD4670

jdrafke1

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, first time poster! I had a friend talk me into trying Snow Leopard on my PC and so far it has been a great experience. My setup is an Asus P5Q Se/R, E8500. and HIS 4670. I ran the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method, along with copying over the post installation files found on lifehacker guide (except the sleepenabler, found that out the hard way, noob LOL). I updated to 10.6.6 and everything is running well. I have ethernet, sound, full resolution and QE/CI (getting the wobbling effects in dashboard). My only two problems are: I tend to get a screen flicker every now and then. The screen shuts off completely and then comes right back on, happens mostly when scrolling in Safari, but not more then 5 times in a two hour computer session. Also, my GPU fan runs at full rpms, 100% of the time. I dont know if this is going to cause future problems, and its also kind of annoying. Does any one know if these are common problems, and some possible fixes. I have searched, but have had no results.

• 1 month later...

The issue could be related to the fan not properly cooling the card. I have seen Graphics cards that do that in Windows as well, so it might be a physical gpu heat issue and not a graphics driver issue in your OS X setup on your rig...Maybe Safari somehow causes the GPU to work hard causing it to overheat and give you intermittent picture on your screen. It might be as simple as removing the Heatsink/Fan unit and checking if thermal grease is insufficient and applying some if necessary before reseating the cooling unit and maybe it will help. If it doesn't they I'm sure have really good aftermarket fans for cheap that you can put on there so the fan don't need to run so much and maybe it might get rid of the display issue your having...