updating from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6

mwr_allen

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have iAtkos 10.6.3 working on my Sony Vaio VPCEBF4E laptop and I was wondering if I can use the Software update to go up to 10.6.6.

Is there anything I need to do first before using it or will it even work on a hackintosh?.

Thanks.

Marcus.

I went through the same experience on my toshiba dual core.First of all you should check if you have under system/library/extension the sleepenabler.kext file. If you do so, remove it completely. After this, you can use the software updater, the one Mac OS provides you with. My new 10.6.6 works perfectly fine, EXCEPT my mouse and keyboard freeze/don't respond everytime i boot. So when i encounter this, i reboot in safe mode, then reboot again and it works. This is a temporary solution until i find out how to solve the problem.

Hi, I have checked the extensions folder for the sleepenabler.kext file and it was not there so I went ahead and updated from my iatkos v3 10.6.3 installation to 10.6.6 through Software Update and now my system will not boot properly.

It will boot but only up to the point of the spinning wheel on the Apple boot screen and it will not go any further.

I have tried cpus=1, cpus=8, -v, -x, -g, -f, -s all together and one command at a time and it still has the same result.

Can anyone suggest a solution to get the OS to boot?

I have on the same hard drive a separate partition with another OS X installation that used to boot up fine but I have not tried it yet so could I boot into that OS to see if there is a sleepenabler.kext file in the extensions folder so I can delete it and see if that lets the OS boot.

Just a thought.

Thanks.

Hi, I have checked the extensions folder for the sleepenabler.kext file and it was not there so I went ahead and updated from my iatkos v3 10.6.3 installation to 10.6.6 through Software Update and now my system will not boot properly.

It will boot but only up to the point of the spinning wheel on the Apple boot screen and it will not go any further.

I have tried cpus=1, cpus=8, -v, -x, -g, -f, -s all together and one command at a time and it still has the same result.

Can anyone suggest a solution to get the OS to boot?

I have on the same hard drive a separate partition with another OS X installation that used to boot up fine but I have not tried it yet so could I boot into that OS to see if there is a sleepenabler.kext file in the extensions folder so I can delete it and see if that lets the OS boot.

Just a thought.

Thanks.

It will be helpful if you can give your system config.... and how were you booting before your system went into kernel panic..??

try the same flags...along with these two..

"-v debug=0x100" everything inside the quotes in the same line

-v means verbose mode..

debug=0x100 i think lets you read the error properly without the automatic restart kicking in !!

try this and post a screen shots... or write down the panic.. !!

I don't have the sleepenabler.kext file in my extension and also got a kernel panic when I upgraded from iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) to 10.6.6. For starters I don't know if any one here uses the cpus=1 when they boot like I have to in order to not get the a stuttering screen but after about 5 re-installs of iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) all successful I may add I found out that adding the idlehalt=0 between the the two <string> in the com.apple.Boot.plist causes a kernel panic. The other issue I found is when I upgraded from iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) using the software update either 1 or 2 upgrades gave me another kernel panic. The Java upgrade and/or the iTunes upgrade. I upgraded all the upgrades individually and rebooted after every upgrade to make sure I did not get a kernel panic. Unfortunately I did not do a reboot between the Java upgrade and the iTunes upgrade so I don't know if one of those upgrades gives a panic or both. One more thing I never got to upgrade the 10.6.6 combo which is the one that I thought would give me the panic. So all I can say is that you should be able to upgrade all except Java, iTunes and the 10.6.6 combo upgrade without any problems. The last 3 either 1 of them 2 of them or all 3 might give you a panic.

Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi

Intel Core Duo processor T2050

(1.6 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)

15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD (16ms)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

It came with 100GB HDD 5400rpm but I'm using an external 250GB USB drive

DVD-Super Multi double layer (support DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+-RW)

Came with 512MB DDR2 (support dual-channel) I added another 512 to make it 1GB

802.11a/b/g wireless LAN which I have never been able to get to work in Leopard

I went through the same experience on my toshiba dual core.First of all you should check if you have under system/library/extension the sleepenabler.kext file. If you do so, remove it completely. After this, you can use the software updater, the one Mac OS provides you with. My new 10.6.6 works perfectly fine, EXCEPT my mouse and keyboard freeze/don't respond everytime i boot. So when i encounter this, i reboot in safe mode, then reboot again and it works. This is a temporary solution until i find out how to solve the problem.

hausbox I hope you don't mind I ask you a question related to another issue as I have not read or gotten any replies from another issue I have. The reason I ask you is because you seem to have a system fairly similar to mine.

I've tried with a Leopard installation DVD and a Snow Leopard DVD which worked on my laptop with no problems but on my desktop I can't even get it to boot don't even get as far as where it ask you what language you want. I wonder if you could give me any pointers oh how you installed it. I have read something about people saying it was the SATA II hard drive other say it's the SATA DVD drive it just left me more confused than anything. Any help will be appreciated.

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz AM3 Processor

3GB DDR2 800MHz PC6400 Memory

MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 mATX Motherboard

320GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive

22X DVDRW SATA Drive

Boot with -v and watch where it stops/breaks out an error.You can also post a picture of it here.There's a chance that someone can help... :wacko:

I don't have the sleepenabler.kext file in my extension and also got a kernel panic when I upgraded from iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) to 10.6.6. For starters I don't know if any one here uses the cpus=1 when they boot like I have to in order to not get the a stuttering screen but after about 5 re-installs of iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) all successful I may add I found out that adding the idlehalt=0 between the the two <string> in the com.apple.Boot.plist causes a kernel panic. The other issue I found is when I upgraded from iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) using the software update either 1 or 2 upgrades gave me another kernel panic. The Java upgrade and/or the iTunes upgrade. I upgraded all the upgrades individually and rebooted after every upgrade to make sure I did not get a kernel panic. Unfortunately I did not do a reboot between the Java upgrade and the iTunes upgrade so I don't know if one of those upgrades gives a panic or both. One more thing I never got to upgrade the 10.6.6 combo which is the one that I thought would give me the panic. So all I can say is that you should be able to upgrade all except Java, iTunes and the 10.6.6 combo upgrade without any problems. The last 3 either 1 of them 2 of them or all 3 might give you a panic.

Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi

Intel Core Duo processor T2050

(1.6 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)

15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD (16ms)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

It came with 100GB HDD 5400rpm but I'm using an external 250GB USB drive

DVD-Super Multi double layer (support DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+-RW)

Came with 512MB DDR2 (support dual-channel) I added another 512 to make it 1GB

802.11a/b/g wireless LAN which I have never been able to get to work in Leopard

hausbox I hope you don't mind I ask you a question related to another issue as I have not read or gotten any replies from another issue I have. The reason I ask you is because you seem to have a system fairly similar to mine.

I've tried with a Leopard installation DVD and a Snow Leopard DVD which worked on my laptop with no problems but on my desktop I can't even get it to boot don't even get as far as where it ask you what language you want. I wonder if you could give me any pointers oh how you installed it. I have read something about people saying it was the SATA II hard drive other say it's the SATA DVD drive it just left me more confused than anything. Any help will be appreciated.

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz AM3 Processor

3GB DDR2 800MHz PC6400 Memory

MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 mATX Motherboard

320GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive

22X DVDRW SATA Drive

well your sata dvd drive is definitely not the problem... as far as i know it is the ide dvd drives that cause problems...!! as for sata II ..i have no idea !! maybe some one else can shed some light on it !

Ok, I deleted and reinstalled the OS again so between the failed upgrade and now, I didn't read the above replies to my question.

I have made a Time Machine backup of my system that is now stable so I will try some trial and error testing to get it to work over the next few days and I will post my findings for others.

Thanks for your help.

Marcus.

dsalsa,i have an IDE DVD drive.I installed 10.5.8 Leopard and then later installed Snow Leopard from my working OSX,customized 100% for my need and wiped the Leopard partition clean..For my machine,iDeneb (Leopard distro) booted perfectly from the DVD while i haven't tried any Snow Leo distro ( i don't like them and avoid pirating soft ).My advice,try with an USB install method. :)