OS X 10.6.6.6

limini

5 posts in this topic

I just updated my 2007 MBP to SL 10.6.6. It installed the App store in my doc. I also happen to be running Little Snitch and I'm amazed at how often and with what frequency calls are now being made to various Apple destinations even if nothing is running in the foreground. It's definitely ramped up a notch.

The App store is nothing more than Apple's latest foray into getting a cut of everyone else's work and their attempt to monitor and control usage. I actually read most of the EULA and it's FREAKING LONG!!! It reminded me of when I got an iPod touch this Xmas and how when I first signed into the App Store (for which you MUST supply a credit card even for free apps, at least in my part of the world) I was presented with a 29 page EULA which I also decided to read: but by the time I finished, the session had timed out and I had to sign in again!

By the way, using Ping and Genius guarantees that Apple will collect data from you, though they state it's anonymous. I don't like it on principle and I don't use them.

The more things develop the more it seems Apple wants to control and monitor every aspect of our computing lives. While this is true of everyone on the Internet, it's particularly excessive with Apple. I do like their systems but I find their business practices invasive and controlling. My iPod is locked down: I can't just use it as a USB drive and transfer what I want as I've done with every mobile device I've used in the last 12 years. People have to write webDav and ftp protocol sub-apps just to get data in and out as they please. Why? Control for profit, not for convenience.

My feeling is that 10.6.6 is just the beginning of what's coming. It's likely the hackintosh community will find it harder and harder to run the latest builds as Apple gets more aggressive on tying into the real time operation of our systems. It's possible that OS X will soon become much too much trouble to hack at all. It's interesting to note how often iTunes gets updated compared to every other App Apple makes. Gee, I wonder why... :)

I'm actually looking forward to the day a new OS finally makes it into popular use. All it needs is a leader, a handful of great programmers, and a deskful of killer apps.

Yesterday I noticed that the App store knows if an App available in the Store is already on my system (it's marked as "Installed"). That means that with 10.6.6, Apple knows exactly what's installed on every Apple computer. Let me rephrase that:

With 10.6.6, Apple knows EXACTLY what apps are installed on your computer.

:D

Yesterday I noticed that the App store knows if an App available in the Store is already on my system (it's marked as "Installed"). That means that with 10.6.6, Apple knows exactly what's installed on every Apple computer. Let me rephrase that:

With 10.6.6, Apple knows EXACTLY what apps are installed on your computer.

:unsure:

I was a little worried when I saw that it knew about my install of iWork, that I got through...questionable means. and this "New OS" your thinking of is called Linux =p

I've been trying to get better aquainted with Linux Mint since it seems I may leave OS X when 10.7 comes out. Bleh.

Also, whats up with Apple breaking their own design rules with some of these new apps?

...and this "New OS" your thinking of is called Linux =p

I've been trying to get better aquainted with Linux Mint since it seems I may leave OS X when 10.7 comes out. Bleh.

I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 on one of my machines and quite frankly, Canonical has done an amazing job of delivering a very tightly integrated and very complete package. Ubuntu is an example of what an alternative OS can be and it's astounding that something like this can be offered for FREE. The more I work with it, the more I like it.

Also, whats up with Apple breaking their own design rules with some of these new apps?

I'm not sure of what you're implying. What design rules?

• 1 month later...
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 on one of my machines and quite frankly, Canonical has done an amazing job of delivering a very tightly integrated and very complete package. Ubuntu is an example of what an alternative OS can be and it's astounding that something like this can be offered for FREE. The more I work with it, the more I like it.

I'm not sure of what you're implying. What design rules?

(Sorry for the painfully relayed reply) Buuut, look at the traffic lights on the App Stope.