HOW TO - Setup Snow Leopard FTP Server

5 posts in this topic

I take no credit for this, the method comes from my good friend Radial :P

This will allow you to setup Snow Leopard FTP server giving remote access to an FTP folder in Users/Shared/FTP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOLD = input

username = name of the account.

1. Create Standard user in System Preferences > Accounts

2. Use terminal for the following:

cd /Users/Shared

mkdir FTP

sudo chown -R username:staff ./FTP <--- replace username with name you created in Accounts

sudo chmod -R 777 ./FTP

touch ./FTP/ftpworking <--- This is just so when you login later you can tell you are logged in to the correct dir, you can delete when done.

sudo nano -w /etc/ftpchroot and enter * then press CTRL+X and press Y to save <-- This locks the user to their home dir.

3. Right click username in System Preferences > Accounts and select Advanced Options

4. Change Home Directory to /Users/Shared/FTP and click OK

5. Enable FTP in System Preferences > Sharing

6. Add /Users/Shared/FTP to Shared Folders and remove any other and add users/ set permissions as required

7. Use Terminal to login as the user to make sure all is ok:

ftp 127.0.0.1 21 and input username & password as requested

ls -l to do a directory listing

If all is ok you will see the file ftpworking you created above.

Type bye to logout of the server

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy !

D :D

Yeah, really pushing the boat out aren't I?!? I guess I'm just a forum voyeur ;)

nowt wrong with that.

you've taught me enough face to face on those quiet weekend shifts - or is that more like I've badgered you to death when you're trying to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet ! :D