Jump to content

OSx86 Install + WinXP (Using Darwin's Bootloader)


6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I've got a fully working 10.4.7 JaS install on a Dell Poweredge SC420 Server.

Quick Specs: Pentium D 820 w/512mb DDR2 Ram 80gb Sata HD.


Drive is setup as following:


- 2 Partitions

- Partition 1: OSx86, Active, Primary.

- Partition 2: WinXP, not-active, extended-logical.


Darwins bootloader shows my windows partition and when I select the item it prints a pipe: '|' character on the screen and does nothing else.

I'm not sure what I need to do to get this happening. The windows partition was working fine previous to installing OSX, it has not been touched since.


Any help will be very much appreciated.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, originally I had winxp on partition one and a winxp on partition 2. Everything was working hunky dory. The windows bootloader was working fine.

But then, I have replaced partition 1's winxp with osx86, I left partition 2 alone. And I have come to this situation.

It would seem to me that if the winxp bootloader worked, other bootloaders should be able to do the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have time and don;t have much important on any of the partitions, download the gparted live cd and ultimate boot cd which includes spfdisk


stick in the gparted cd and re-create 2 partitions in fat32 format, install osx on this first are format it with disk util from the install cd. make sure that boots up, and then you can search the forums on how to make the darwin bootloader wait 8 seconds or so. then stick in your xp installation and install on the second partition (i made mine ntfs cause i don;t care about modifying files in osx on it)


after all this, stick in your ultimate boot cd and go into spfdisk and then make your osx partition active and everythin shoudl work from there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I think Rammjet is right. It should be on a primary partition.

I had the problems when I had a cluster project running. It was on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition but I think it's the same with XP.

Windows likes to handle everything with extended partitions. But because windows likes to work with those it knows how to handle that. But you will start getting problems when it comes to install something on these partitions. Same is going on with those "dynamic" partitions. They are only dynamic if windows is running *gg* otherwise they are everything but dynamic.

If you would get windows running you could try dskprobe.exe (on w2003s ee I had to use the version 1.0 from winxp. the w2003 version didn't work for me). Here is a step by step how to convert them without dataloss (worked for me but I won't give you a warranty :pirate2:)


Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Create New...