DUAL MONITOR SL OSX

ddrmama

12 posts in this topic

Hi! I have bought a new monitor and I would like to try connect the two monitors to my SL OSX. I have done it, and I get the same desktop, with the same resolution etc in my two monitors, but I would like to get them with independence, two resolutions and that the two monitors will be like a single "monitor" to use programs etc.

I don´t know how I can get it, so any help is welcome.

I try with system preferences but in my displays only appears a "display" button and "color" button, so I think that perhaps the two monitors is not working properly.

Thanks and I hope to solve this new problem.

Bye!

PD. My graphic card is ATI HD5670

What do you exactly mean to say with "as single monitor" ??

Hum... i cant remember well, but i guess you just can work on hackintosh with two monitors on extended view - no mirrored allowed.

Fabián Cañas has done a good job with your app called MirrorDisplays, see this link for download and more info.

Note: If you had bricked out your display trying to enable mirror, you may procceed to recover it, executing at MirrorDisplays app leave the mouse at the app icon on dock, plug your secondary display (now yours display may shows anything), click mouse left button once then press down arrow key twice >>press ENTER or on Mac Terminal the follow command "/Extra/bin/mirroring off " >>Enter (Return).

Hope this help you tongue.gif

Carlos Paixao

Hum... i cant remember well, but i guess you just can work on hackintosh with two monitors on extended view - no mirrored allowed.

Mirroring works fine in OS X (it works for me on my hack) but that's not what the OP wants.

It looks to me as if he wants the desktop to span two displays - the right end of the menu bar with the clock and eject button etc appearing on the right monitor, Apple menu on the left monitor.

I don't think that's possible, at least not without using some sort of 3rd party tool.

As far as I know you can only have the desktop + menu bar on your primary display in OS X, just like with Vista and Windows 7. Secondary display can then be used for whatever you want, of course it's still "the desktop", but there's no menu bar on the secondary display.

Last time I saw a desktop truly extended over multiple displays (with clock on the right display, start button on the left) was on Windows XP.

Ooohhh right....

Its make more sense... really... you should be right. He may wants to make each dislplay to show half of the whole image.

But i cant see and i am proud to know any hackintosh working in mirrored mode. I'd never seen it before.

A lot of thanks for your answers.

It looks to me as if he wants the desktop to span two displays - the right end of the menu bar with the clock and eject button etc appearing on the right monitor, Apple menu on the left monitor.

You are right, this is exactly what I want. I have got to do it in Mirror mode but I want to extend the desktop. This is the idea.

The problem I think is that my graphic card doesn´t use HDMI. But I think that is possible to do the thing I want due to I have seen some videos in youtube about people that have done. But the problem is to solve my HDMI out from my graphic card.

My graphic card is an ATI HD 5670.

Any idea??

Yeah those are real nice, the only drawback is that the displays you use must be the same resolution.

The problem I think is that my graphic card doesn´t use HDMI.

No, that's not the problem.

As I said, the problem is that desktop spanning (meaning; the OS and every app or game you run see your two displays as one big display) is not supported at all. Even Vista and Windows 7 does not support it, you need Windows XP for that. Google it.

The best you can do (with a single video card) is two independent displays.

This works fine on my Hack both via DVI+VGA (via DVI to VGA adapter, second display only has analog input) and DVI+Analog (Component) TV-out. This is on a 9800GTX+ using the latest drivers from nvidia.

If your video card doesn't have HDMI out, use a DVI to HDMI adapter or a readymade DVI to HDMI cable.

I don´t know if I am right with my explanations about what I want to do about my card.

I would like to do something like this:

http://smokingapples.com/opinion/using-dua...the-experience/

I have windows 7 and I get my displays working together like "one big display".

I have used my dvi + hdmi (with adapter hdmi-dvi) to do it, but in leopard I can´t get it. I get my two displays working but not like a single display.

Thanks for your support! :D

I get my two displays working but not like a single display.

facepalm.jpg

You should read that article again because it says the same thing that I'm saying.

Like i said, it is not possible, you cannot have two displays working as one display on OS X.

I repeat: Like in Windows Vista and Windows 7, you can have a main display that has the menu bar, and one (or more, depending on hardware) auxiliary display(s).

There is a big difference.

I have windows 7 and I get my displays working together like "one big display".

LOL, no you don't! That is simply not possible in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

You can have an "Extended Desktop" yes, but not "Horizontal Spanning" as you could in XP.

Maybe this thread helps you to make the distinction between the two:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...8e-8076fa51b27a

Ops! sad.gifForgive me! I am so sorry because the thing that you wanted to tell me is the thing I meant, so I didn´t understand your description... It was my fault. Excuse me!

The thing you told me is correct, that is what I want to get it, but I don´t know how.

I can use both displays, with the same information in both, in the lower resolution that my old display support, but I can´t get the two displays working, one with the dock, and the other with, for example, a web browser.

When I go to "About this mac" and go into "Displays" I only see connected one display (really I have two working) but only one (DVI) is recognized by OSX. The other one (HDMI) works but not appears like a new display. I think that this could be the problem.

So, have you got any idea about to solve this?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my persistant about the other question

Right, there you go lol. It's important to get the terminology right when troubleshooting!

Now that we're on the same page - I have to admit I really have almost no idea how ATI/AMD video cards work on a Hackintosh, I've only ever installed OS X on PCs with nvidia cards.

Try booting up with only the HDMI display connected. What do you see?

Then try plugging in the DVI monitor and click 'detect displays'.

On nvidia cards, the primary display must be plugged in to the video output that is physically located closest to the motherboard. Try different cabling or adapters so that you can plug in your monitors in a different order.

I think that's pretty much it for troubleshooting as far as the hardware side goes.

If it still doesn't work for you, maybe it can be fixed in software by tweaking the drivers somehow or whatever solution you're using to get working QE/CI and everything. I'm afraid I can't help you with that, I have no experience with ATI hardware. Have you seen the ATI subforum? You should probably have posted there to begin with:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=174

Maybe a moderator can move the thread for you. It should get you more useful answers being in the right place.

Good luck.