OCZ Vertex 2E & Intel X25-M

daxure

10 posts in this topic

Hi there speed hunters, I`ve recently discovered that to speed way up system performance is recommended to use SDD (HDD) of new generation like:

OCZ Vertex 2E or Intel X25-M

HD-047-OC_400.jpg

HD-006-IN_400.jpg

..as I`ve read on different forums this hardware could be used as secondary drives to boost up system performance .. example in Windows

capture9ssdafterupdates.jpg

from Overlockers forum: OCZ Vertex 2E or Intel X25-M?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18201931

My benchmark looks like that now

screencapturea.png

My question is:

My Hackintosh is build with 3 HDD`s

1.HDD 450GB Snow 10.6.5

2.HDD 750 Windows 7 x64+Linux Ubuntu+Vista x86

3 HDD 1TB Time Machine

There is place for Vertex 2E or Intel X25M HDD but I don`t get how to clone or configure this monster HDD to boot into Hackintosh without losing any Data or even to be able to Boot into current configuration without any problems?

I`m looking forward to your kind help, thanx in advance for your answers

P.S. sorry for my englisch :(

Hi a SSD will make the system faster but you will not see that reflected much in a Geekbench result more in Xbench with the disk access scores in it. Your programs will load faster so you will notice difference there when starting them up booting is a little faster can't say it is blazing fast or anything though. If you are trying to get all these operating systems on the one SSD then unless you get the 120gb+ variety I doubt you would manage. The general procedure to do only your OS X would be make sure that you have less space used on your 450gb hard drive than is the size of the partition/entire new SSD drive if using the whole thing to install onto. Once you confirm that the exiting install will fit new partition/drive you simply boot into OS X after having installed it into computer OS X will offer to initialize the drive with diskutil if it is still bare unpartitioned drive ie. still new you have not done anything to it yet. If you have already partitioned in other OS then you need to open diskutil to format the partition you will use for OS X. Now once this is done keep the diskutil open select the Restore option with the existing install as the Source then new drive partition as the Destination unchecking the Erase before option as it will be newly formatted anyways and you want to name the destination a little different of a name anyways so you do not get confused when booting with two identically named installs as it will do if you use the Erase option. When it completes the Restore you now only need to install Chameleon onto the new drive/partition when that is done you have a working clone that you can boot from so you just need to reboot selecting the new drive as boot source. With my board this would be either going into BIOS and putting it as first in the boot order list or using the F12 key during post to get a boot selector menu where I can choose any of the hard drives, cd/dvd roms, usb sticks attached to the computer for a one time boot source at that booting. Hopefully I have explained this well enough you get the idea of what needs to be done.

Thanx Buddy for your kind Help & prompt answer to my nOOby post, as I`ve assumed with my Mac OS X HDD 450GB I will need more than 120GB SDD Drive which is almost out of my finances cuz if 250GB SDD costs abot €400 better to by some Hi end Quatro FX grafic card :blush:

what was my initial sphere of interest in this SDD is that I could`t figure out how it`s possible to put and fit to my system this monster(SDD) among existing 2 main HDD ( 750GB Windows, 450GB Mac OS X) if capacity of SDD is so small (120GB to 250GB)???? :huh:

On my Hackintoshi Drive I`ve almost 299GB of valueble Data as I get it now I`ll need 300+GB SDD :D looots of money ;)

Thanx Buddy for your kind Help & prompt answer to my nOOby post, as I`ve assumed with my Mac OS X HDD 450GB I will need more than 120GB SDD Drive which is almost out of my finances cuz if 250GB SDD costs abot €400 better to by some Hi end Quatro FX grafic card :blush:

what was my initial sphere of interest in this SDD is that I could`t figure out how it`s possible to put and fit to my system this monster(SDD) among existing 2 main HDD ( 750GB Windows, 450GB Mac OS X) if capacity of SDD is so small (120GB to 250GB)???? :huh:

On my Hackintoshi Drive I`ve almost 299GB of valueble Data as I get it now I`ll need 300+GB SDD :D looots of money ;)

Yeah them larger sizes are damn expensive what you could do is go with maybe a couple of 60gb drives for each OS if you have room in the case they are pretty cheap at the moment. Hell even if you don't have the room as long as you have the connectors to get them going you can lay them on the bottom of case as I have not seen a SSD that has any exposed electronics so they won't short out if they come in contact with metal. It would be a pain to re-install both OSs but you could then use your existing drives as storage for your important files the SSD as OS drives/quick when needed working space for for files you have open at the moment.

you could then use your existing drives as storage for your important files the SSD as OS drives/quick when needed working space for for files you have open at the moment.

That part of your answer gives me some tipp about how to manage my drives but because of my complete nOOby state of my knowledge of HDD & SSD`s workouts as you have kindly explained to me, I from my side have difficulty to understand if not step by step which drive gets first and secondary BOOT priority and also if we have for exemple 2X60GB SDD (divaide between Win 7 & Mac OS X) and amount of only LOGIC PRO with 57GB of goody`s won`t feet to newly formated GUID partions of Vertex2 60GB ??? there is some blackout in my brain, I dont get how to "import files" as you`ve suggested..

maybe ones more I`d like to ask for your kind help in this complicated metter to resolve this issue with detailed My system configuration:

I`ve Big Case with enough space for another 4 Drives (2,5)

Gigabyte MoBo Ex-58-UD5 with 6 HDD+2RAID Docks

1. HDD 450Gb Mac OS X (10.6.5)

2. HDD 750Gb Win 7 e.t.c

3. Time Machine 1 TB

Here We go.. then comes 2X60GB divided for 1 and 2 HDD for main OS`s ? and how I`m gonna manage issue with for example LOGIC PRO for instance ? (with 57GB) :D

Thanx in advance for your kind answer

That part of your answer gives me some tipp about how to manage my drives but because of my complete nOOby state of my knowledge of HDD & SSD`s workouts as you have kindly explained to me, I from my side have difficulty to understand if not step by step which drive gets first and secondary BOOT priority and also if we have for exemple 2X60GB SDD (divaide between Win 7 & Mac OS X) and amount of only LOGIC PRO with 57GB of goody`s won`t feet to newly formated GUID partions of Vertex2 60GB ??? there is some blackout in my brain, I dont get how to "import files" as you`ve suggested..

maybe ones more I`d like to ask for your kind help in this complicated metter to resolve this issue with detailed My system configuration:

I`ve Big Case with enough space for another 4 Drives (2,5)

Gigabyte MoBo Ex-58-UD5 with 6 HDD+2RAID Docks

1. HDD 450Gb Mac OS X (10.6.5)

2. HDD 750Gb Win 7 e.t.c

3. Time Machine 1 TB

Here We go.. then comes 2X60GB divided for 1 and 2 HDD for main OS`s ? and how I`m gonna manage issue with for example LOGIC PRO for instance ? (with 57GB) :unsure:

Thanx in advance for your kind answer

So the Logic needs 57gb for install then right? If so then you would need a pair of 120gb SSD if wanting to install programs of that size and the OS on the drive. OS X will take well under 20gb if you cut the extra languages and printer drives installed out of the picture by doing a custom install and de-selecting them. This would leave you with around ~50gb left for any files that you absolutely need on that drive to work with right at the moment the rest can set on the mechanical hard drive then copy over as needed deleting/moving files already worked on. Now you can do the same with windows it takes a little over 20gb if memory serves me so with that you have ~100gb left for programs essential files needed. As to booting windows always wants to be first in drive order so it would go on first Intel port on the board, OS X it could care less where it resides so any port on the board that is bootable. Now when posting you hit the F12 key to get a option to choose which device you want to use as a boot source hard drives included you would choose which to boot from there. Of course you may as well set the drive you want to boot most often to default drive to boot using the F12 to get to the other when wanted. To do this you go into BIOS Advanced settings I believe where you find the Boot Order menu or something like that similarly named to put the drive you want at the top of the list so it is always chosen first to boot from.

Thank you ones more for your prompt answer to my posts, as I was assuming Ill need more than 120Gb SSD cuz Adobe CS5+Logic+ + + ther`re 299GB of valuable prog`s on SNOW drive, it may cost well over €400...

In such case I`ll be considering to spare money on something else though my system is still slow despite i7+6GB RAM I`ll buy another GraCard to reduce pressure over all :D

Thank you

Thank you ones more for your prompt answer to my posts, as I was assuming Ill need more than 120Gb SSD cuz Adobe CS5+Logic+ + + ther`re 299GB of valuable prog`s on SNOW drive, it may cost well over €400...

In such case I`ll be considering to spare money on something else though my system is still slow despite i7+6GB RAM I`ll buy another GraCard to reduce pressure over all :P

Thank you

Alright now I see totally what you are doing and why you need that much space for the OS drive. In this case since those programs are huge users of ram and the DDR3 at the moment is dropping like a stone in price I would say first max out the box on ram. The less it has to hit the hard drive the better off you are speaking of hard drives since those too are getting real cheap I would say one of the 1-2tb range 7200rpm 64mb cache on board drive could be in line for an upgrade to give yourself some breathing room to have actual excess space for files on there. These disk would be faster than what you have in there already as the density of information on the platters is so much greater it takes less time to read in the information from them when the drive heads are going by. This is also where one of the smallish SSD in the 60gb range can come in handy as a scratch disk for your working on at the moment files and if those programs allow you to set where their temporary files are put you can use the SSD for this as well speeding up your access even more you could even do this still keeping your now existing drive. Personally these are the areas I would think about when doing this kind of upgrade as opposed to extra video card especially high end ones as I see all kinds of problems people are having with the latest and greatest of them in posts here daily.

Outmost interesting solution!

as I read your last post it just went trough my woody head as bullet, I guess this is it!

I*m gonna make step by step reconstruction of my case as you kindly explained to me... :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for your time and patience :angel:

;)

as I read your last post it just went trough my woody head as bullet, I guess this is it!

I*m gonna make step by step reconstruction of my case as you kindly explained to me... :rolleyes:

:)

Your welcome.

:D

Your welcome.