10.4.6.install.dvd.iso HELP PLEASE

ozmend

9 posts in this topic

During the install, right before pressing the "Install" button, did you click on the "Customize" button and select packages that pertain to your computer? You had to click the little arrow to reveal packages for Intel and packages for AMD. And you should have chosen either SSE2 or SSE3 but not both.

are you trying to load os x after installation, or the installer itself?

Either way, this means the system can't find either the hd with os x on it, or the drive with the dvd on it. If this is after installing, try rammjets suggestion first, and if you still have a problem, try toying with your jumpers. Set all jumpers (optical drives (cd, dvd, etc) and hard drives alike) to master or slave, ie no cable select. If you're still getting this error, rearrange your drives a bit until you can get it to work. Try setting your hard drive to primary master first, then primary slave, etc. Usually if your main hard drive is primary master, and your main dvd drive is primary slave things should go smoothly, but it all depends on your system.

That said, what's your mobo and chipset, and are you trying to install on an ide hard drive or sata?

I am loading this off an iso that I burned to a dvd. There is no install or customize buttons. I simply created a seperate partition on the hdd and set the new partition to active, told bios to boot off dvd rom, rebooted and pushed f8 so I could enter -v and then the screenshot is as far as it gets. If it cant see the hdd is there any way to point to it? This is a laptop so opening it up and messing with the jumpers shouldnt be the problem should it? It's a HP ZV6130US. I don't know what kind of motherboard it is but it's a 2ghz 3200+ athlon64 and an 80gig eide hdd. I've looked all over the net to find out what type of mb it is with no luck. Im a noob who wants his osx to run on his stupid work laptop that's all ;) Thanks for your help again.

You are suffering from a "waiting for root device" error. The system can't figure out where the bootable System files are. The only thing that works (sometimes) is to get the DVD and hard drive on the same ATA chain, setting the hard drive as master and the DVD as slave using jumpers, not using cable select.

Since you have a laptop (and this happens a lot with laptops), it isn't easy for you to do this.

There are only 2 other solutions:

1) Put your hard drive into another computer and install to it, then transfer the hard drive back.

2) Use VMware to install to the hard drive http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314