do kexts mess with windows?

polgas88

2 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, I'm planning to install OS X on my pc soon. I already have Windows 7 professional 64 bit installed, and I'm planning to install Os X on a separate hard drive. And although I've been reading up on alot of guides, and alot of them are very detailed, I just wanted to know before I start:

Will installing kexts or anything related to running Os X on my pc mess with my windows installation? I'm not really sure how kexts work, but they seem to be related to the core of the OS, so I was wondering if it will change anything important on my pc, like say, the BIOS on my motherboard, or firmware, or drivers that run my hardware?

Where are kexts installed anyways? Will they be installed only on my hard drive with Os X? Or do they go deeper than that?

Sorry, real newbie here, and Im scared to mess up.

For whatever its worth, my hardware:

MSI 785gt - e63

Phenom II x3 720

Radeon hd 5770

Thanks in advance!

Hey everybody, I'm planning to install OS X on my pc soon. I already have Windows 7 professional 64 bit installed, and I'm planning to install Os X on a separate hard drive. And although I've been reading up on alot of guides, and alot of them are very detailed, I just wanted to know before I start:

Will installing kexts or anything related to running Os X on my pc mess with my windows installation? I'm not really sure how kexts work, but they seem to be related to the core of the OS, so I was wondering if it will change anything important on my pc, like say, the BIOS on my motherboard, or firmware, or drivers that run my hardware?

Where are kexts installed anyways? Will they be installed only on my hard drive with Os X? Or do they go deeper than that?

Sorry, real newbie here, and Im scared to mess up.

For whatever its worth, my hardware:

MSI 785gt - e63

Phenom II x3 720

Radeon hd 5770

Thanks in advance!

First of all read this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=236949 topic.

Go google and search for OSx86 HCL (Hardware Compatibility List). Find which OSx supports your hardware (Mobo, GPU mostly).

Then you should backup all your data just in case something went wrong. It doesn't matter if you are installing on separate or the same hard drive. Kexts are not gonna mess your Windows, but there is possibility that something else mess up your Win and thats why you should do backup. Installing OSx is not some easy process and you are probably gonna fail several times until everything works. Operating system can't change anything in your BIOS. That you should do... Driver is software that allow your operating system interact with your hardware. So OSx and Windows driver doesn't have anything in common, so won't mess anything... Same for kexts (OSx drivers)