OSX 10.4.6 installation doesen't even start

Ratte

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I hope you can help me. I'm trying to install mac os 10.4.6 on my pc by using this guide: Link

I got the HotISO version of 10.4.6, burned it on a dvd-r, cleared my hdd and created a new partition with fdisk under linux. As filesystem i choosed 0xaf (so nothing at all :). I tried to boot from the dvd which worked, but the problem is that my machine freezes when there's this apple logo on a gray background. I was confused because i didn't even get an error message. So i tried to use the bootoption -x -v platform=X86PC, which didn't really help me but now i know the point where everything freezes and i hope you know something about the last message:

using 1310 buffer headers and 1310 cluster I0 buffer headers

Ratte

I had some wierd stuff happen in my first attempt at this as well. It's a little hard with the HOTiSO image being so slow to load. Here are some things that I found.

1) I partitioned the HD in Knoppix linux using fdisk set as /dev/hda1 with ID of 'af'. I tried 0xaf, but it wanted just the last 2 characters.

2) I forgot to set the partition as bootable ('a' in fdisk). I fixed that with some forum help. In the end I had one partition on the system set bootable with ID 'af' (UNKNOWN)

3) I rebooted to the HOTiSO disk which took for damn ever to get to the language preference screen...IT LOCKED UP THERE. so i rebooted and tried again using the f8 and -v boot option...just hit f8 then type '-v' [enter]. that showed the text of the boot process which always makes me feel better. It took forever again, then came to the language screen, I clicked it and went on to the rest of the install fine.

4) please note that I subsequently found that if you leave the install for too long on any screen it will lock up. I think that the drive goes to sleep or something after a few minutes. This caused me to reboot and restart the install process several times.

the rest worked as advertised. I'm using a GA-8IHXP motherboard with 512MB memory and an ATI 9800 card.

one other thing to look at is your BIOS and DMA settings. I might try tuning them down, turning off write through and other speed enhancements.