Notebook - Asus G71V

ThiagoC

15 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Although this is my first post, I've been reading the forums and trying to make Mac OS work in my notebook for a week.

Here are the description of what I've done:

Notebook - Asus G71V-7S023C

Proc....................: Intel Centrino 2 - Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2400 MHz

Chipset................: Intel Cantiga PM45

Mem....................: 4Gb DDR3 1333

Video...................: NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT de 512 MB

Sound..................: Realtek ALC663 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]

Wireless Network....: Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Ethernet...............: Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Card Reader..........: Ricoh RL5C832 IEEE1394 Controller (PHY: Ricoh RL5C832)

Bluetooth..............: Generic Bluetooth Adapter - From Broadcom Corp

Web Cam..............: USB2.0 2.0M UVC WebCam

Mouse..................: Razer RZ01-0005

Keyboard..............: Spanish Layout

Hard Disk..............: 1x 500Gb

Mac OS X: iATKOS S3 V2 - Snow Leopard 10.6.3

I tried iDeneb with Leopart 10.5.6 and 10.5.8 and I didnt get as close as iATKOS

=> BIOS Options:

1. I red that I should enable AHCI for my HD, but there is no option in BIOS. But, during the Notebook initialization, it shows that AHCI is already enabled.

2. Intel HT should be disabled. There is no Intel HT option in my BIOS too.

FYI: In IDE config, there is are 3 Options: Compatible, RAID and Enhanced. Only Enhanced worked. Other would do the "still wating for root device" error. I had an SSD in the other SATA port that worked on Compatible mode for windows, but I had to take it off.

=> Installing:

1. Booting from DVD withou any boot options. - Ok.

2. Partitioning HD - 20Gb Partiotioned as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3. Customizing Instalation:

3.1 Bootloader: In my first attempt, I let it install without any changes. During boot it freezed with or without "-x" option. I noticed it was complaining to much about not finding any SMBIOS. Searching the internet, I got a hint that I should change the bootloader to PC_EFI, and it worked. The "No SMBIOS found" error took place for a: "Found SMBIOS anchor but bad table checksum. Assuming no SMBIOS".

3.2 Drivers:

3.2.1 - In one of my previous attempt, the sound was loaded, but it started to make a very loud noise and wouldnt stop. I tried to select only Voodoo HDA (since the standard had both Voodoo and Apple selected) but it had the same problem. A loud noise. I deselected all sound options and the loud noise still appeared. I had to disable sound in BIOS.

FYI: The noise appears during the SO load screen. Using "-v" I saw that it started as soon as VoodooHDA is loaded.

3.2.2 - Selected Voodoo PS/2. Without it, my keyboard wasn't beeing found.

3.2.3 - Laptop Hardware - Selected Battery and Card Reader.

3.2.4 - Network - Wired - Realtek - RTL8168.

FYI: Didnt chose any wireless, coz when i chosed all of them in my previous attemp, none worked.

3.2.5 - Video - NvEnabler Natit

=> Logging into the system

It worked without any boot options.

Bluetooth - Ok

Ethernet - Ok

Webcam - Ok

Batery Status - Ok

USB - Ok

Mouse - Ok

Keyboard - Ok

Video Card - More or less. It has 512Mb, but the system sees only 128mb.

Wireless - All I found in internet was: It doesnt work.

Sound - Doesnt work.

Now, I need some help to make my Video and Sound cards work properly.

For my video card:

I tryed installing CUDA from NVidia and NVEnabler By Krazubu. CUDA made no dif in my system and NVEnabler By Krazubu made my SO freeze while loading.

For my soundcard: I reactivated it in BIOS and installed the 2.7.2 VoodooHDA pkg. When I restarted, the loud noise appeared again :(

Tnks for your time.

TC.

**** Edit 1

Ok! Fixed my sound problem!

Found the solution here: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1656.0.html

What I did was:

1. Copy \System\Library\Extensions\VoodooHDA.kext to my desktop.

2. Right-clicked and chosed: Show Package Contents

3. Edited Info.plist changing the set "iGain" from 90 to 0.

4. Saved and used Kext Utility to install the VoodooHDA.kext I edited.

Now, I'm going for my Video Card that is not running OpenGL applications (Warcraft 3 for example).

***** Edit 2 - 20/jan/2011

Everything is now working.

I don't know why I didnt try another bootloader before, but Chameleon RC5 solved my video problems...

But, there is one problem: It is complaining to much about SMBIOS.

It gives an error and wait for "any key" to continue...

It does it like 5 times... then, it just boots and everything works.

Can anyone tell me how can I just make it dont ask for key press, and just... move along ignoring errors?

Ok.. found the sound noise problem.

The sound driver loads with microphone gain at max, wich is causing feedback.

Logges into the SO and changed the sound config, but it works only when im already inside SO. When booting and the driver loads, I get the feedback problem.

So, how can I change my microphone gain config so it wont boot at max?

(im using voodoo hda)

Hi ThiagoC,

I just read you have got the same laptop as i have and i also became a member of this forum to get OSX working on my laptop.

At least you have got the basics working.

I tried Empie Efi and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but nothing worked.it keeps on asking for no root found.

Can you please let me know which programs/software u used?

Thank you very much,a merry Christmas and a happy newyear to all of you .

I keep on trying now i know it is possible(only i have a QX9300 cpu.icon1.gif

Hi ThiagoC,

I just read you have got the same laptop as i have and i also became a member of this forum to get OSX working on my laptop.

At least you have got the basics working.

I tried Empie Efi and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but nothing worked.it keeps on asking for no root found.

Can you please let me know which programs/software u used?

Thank you very much,a merry Christmas and a happy newyear to all of you .

I keep on trying now i know it is possible(only i have a QX9300 cpu.icon1.gif

Hello.

With my limited knowledge, Empie Efi and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] are for booting with Snow Leopard DVD, right? In my case, I don´t have it. I Downloaded iATKOS S3 V2 DVD image (Snow Leopard 10.6.3).

After installing iATKOS, I used the Software Update utility and upgraded to 10.6.5 without any problems.

The "no root found" problem I had was:

1. My IDE config in BIOS was set to "Compatible". I had to change to "Enhanced". (It was set to "Compatible" so it would accept my Kingston SSD. But this is another problem.)

2. My Mac OS was not installed in my main HD. (SSD was installed in SATA1. I had to replace my SSD with my HD sata port)

Hope I could help.

Tnks,

TC.

hi ThiagoC,thanks,i am going to look for it.

Did you have to use the original OSX dvd or not?

it,s funny i had exactly the same ssd as you and the same problems.tried everything.

I am going to download what you said and aitos,al i have to know is ,do i have to hit the F5 button,and do i have to use the original dvd as i don,t know what is Aitkos.icon9.gif

Thank you very much for helping me,as i couldn,t find anyone in Holland with the same machine as we have.icon8.gif

i also know what to do now in the bios(which to choose from the 3 choises,couldn't find ahci)

I guess i can find all this on the internet,or can i get it here at insanelymac(the programs tou mentioned?)

Cheers Cor,Rotterdamicon6.gif

Hi!

No, I don't have the original SL DVD.

iATKOS is a hacked Snow Leopard DVD instalation. With it, you basically install everything. You boot with it and install with it. Its the 10.6.3 version, but you can upgrade to 10.6.5 without anyproblems.

Good luck! :mellow:

TC.

hi,thank you very much for your help.

Thanks also for the link,i did not know it is not allowed to tell which programs people used (like Aitkos).

i guess it has got to do with the fact that Apple does not want it to have it installed on anything else than a Mac.

Thanks again Cor.

I let you know how i succeeded(if i succeeded)i'll try it over the holydays).

And for all of you :A Merry Christmas and a happy Newyear.

You could try AppleHDAPatcher. You need a linux coded dump. Then you feed the tool with it. You either create one with a linux live cd. Ubuntu can be used for example. There are manuals on the internet. You might find a dump for your soundcard on the Internet too.

I had success with Nvinject for my Nvidia card

You could try AppleHDAPatcher. You need a linux coded dump. Then you feed the tool with it. You either create one with a linux live cd. Ubuntu can be used for example. There are manuals on the internet. You might find a dump for your soundcard on the Internet too.

I had success with Nvinject for my Nvidia card

My sound card is working properly now. Editing VoodooHDA.kext changing iGain settings from 90 to 0 solved the problem.

Now, about my NVidia Card:

There are 3 kexts that I don't really understand how to install them:

NVinject

NVEnabler

Natit

Should I install all of them, only one of them... ?

I installed the Natit and NVinject that came in the iATKOS DVD.

My desktop resolution was correctly set to 1440x900. But the system detected only 128Mb.

I installed Warcraft3 to test. The game menu (that is 3D) loaded correctly too. When I start a game, it freeze when it finish loading the map and try to start it.

I installed NVEnabler and my OS stopped loading.

Booting with "-v" option, I see that NVEnabler detected the 512Mb in my video card, but when it sould start the SO graphic, it returns: "NVEnabler: proble fail".

It is ritten in the NVEnabler decription that it doesnt work with integrated videocards (except 9400 GT).

Im lost :wacko:

My sound card is working properly now. Editing VoodooHDA.kext changing iGain settings from 90 to 0 solved the problem.

Now, about my NVidia Card:

There are 3 kexts that I don't really understand how to install them:

NVinject

NVEnabler

Natit

Should I install all of them, only one of them... ?

I installed the Natit and NVinject that came in the iATKOS DVD.

My desktop resolution was correctly set to 1440x900. But the system detected only 128Mb.

I installed Warcraft3 to test. The game menu (that is 3D) loaded correctly too. When I start a game, it freeze when it finish loading the map and try to start it.

I installed NVEnabler and my OS stopped loading.

Booting with "-v" option, I see that NVEnabler detected the 512Mb in my video card, but when it sould start the SO graphic, it returns: "NVEnabler: proble fail".

It is ritten in the NVEnabler decription that it doesnt work with integrated videocards (except 9400 GT).

Im lost :)

I just doublechecked what I've used to get my Nvidia working. It seems like NvInstaller worked the best after all. It's basically an Installer that asks you a few questions about your hardware and then Patches your kext-files I think. Maybe It's part of the distribution. I downloaded mine from the Internet separately though.

• 4 weeks later...
I just doublechecked what I've used to get my Nvidia working. It seems like NvInstaller worked the best after all. It's basically an Installer that asks you a few questions about your hardware and then Patches your kext-files I think. Maybe It's part of the distribution. I downloaded mine from the Internet separately though.

nvinstaller didnt help.

in fact, it returned an error during setup.

anyway, I found this site: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509

Following the isntructions, my MAC is displaying a 512MB video card... BUT, when I try to run Warcraft 3, it returns: "opengl unable to initialize".

Anyone have any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Thiago,

Thanks to your very clear instructions, my G71V is now a happy Hackintosh!

There are only two problems:

- One may be very difficult to solve, and is the lack of WiFi. I don't seem to find any info on the web about this one, other than changing the wireless card, or buying a USB model.

- The other you seem to have solved, and is the boot loader. You say you didn't install SL on the main HD, and that may be the reason. I suspect Chameleon is not correctly tagging the MBR.

Did anyone manage to get this working on the main HD? corretje, any luck?

Thanks

Just to let everyone know, I solved the boot problem. Actually I had Windows7 installed in another partition, and iAtkos screwed the Windows boot loader (which would be fine if Chameleon would have kicked in instead...)

So I picked a Win7 rescue disk and restored the MBR. Then I booted in Windows, installed EasyBCD and added Mac OSX to the boot list (in MBR mode, EFI doesn't seem to work).

Works really well!

Now just have to solve the WiFi problem

• 2 months later...

hey,

i have the same notebook g71v and an installed hackintosh 10.6.6i by hazard.

sound and video is working fine but open gl is only by apple software!

do you find any solution for this?

you only use gfx string in apple.boot.plist to enable video card?

is quarz(extreme) supported on your notebook, because my system profiler don´t show it!

thx ti-m-x